Orchid - Stippled in Pen & Ink

I did my version of the Orchid from the Subjects with pen and ink. I used Steadler 0.05 & 0.1 pens on 10"x10" Smooth Bristol Paper. All stippled and spent just over 6 hours on this one.

Lenet

5 Likes

I love this. Very well done

1 Like

Thank you, @Denise .

That is beautiful! Did you enjoy stippling? I find it very relaxing and after doing that orchid, I went did some more on my own. Of course, one was a cow! lol

1 Like

Hello June @junenez , i did really enjoy it. Thanks. Trying to decide what’s next.

@lenetg137 I haven’t tried stippling because it looks so time consuming. You did a great job with this one.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thanks Terri @robichon .It is time consuming. It can be monotonous if you are doing a large area, such as filling a background. It can also be realy relaxing. The interesting part about stippling is that you can subtlety change a value or gradient with just a few dots strategically placed. The key is to keep pattern random until you don’t want it to be random.

Time commitment obviously is dependent on size and subject. This is not a complicated piece and took me just over 6 hours. If you compare to the pen and ink boot with hatching, it was just slightly quicker. My graphite pieces of the Porche and motorcycle engine were both 25-30 hours, but had way more detail. So, I guess time is relative to the other factors. Stippling, like other techniques is about developing values. If you try it, I’d suggest start with a small drawing to get the feel. Another tip is pen needs to go up and down, mostly vertically to get dots (angles with pen tend to make very small lines or ckecks) and use a light touch so as not to damage tips.

Lenet

1 Like

Very helpful information. Thanks.

Terri Robichon

1 Like