9/18 gettin sketchy - urban sketch

That was challenging with only the few colors and no pencil lines!!! But I had fun

6 Likes

Hello June @junenez , great job. I think you captured the photo essence well.

I just finished a layer of oil painting and didn’t have time to get watercolors set up, so I did mine i. A watercolor style digitally on Procreate. I did stick to time limit.

Not quite the same as using actual materials. But I also had fun!

Lenet

3 Likes

wow - that is great! I have procreate but still can’t seem to figure it out much. one of these days…

1 Like

WOW, you did it again in almost no time. Well done!

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hi Lenet @lenetg137
I have no idea how to draw on the computer. (But I did use to use CAD - totally different). I really like this a lot. So glad you shared it.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hello Terri @robichon . Using Procreate, my iPad and Apple pencil, I just sketched on the tablet as I would on paper. I tried to only pick colors similar what Matt used, used a watercolor brush on the program adjusted for size and opacity to simulate a watercolor. There are other things that could be done to get a more realistic watercolor effect, but would have taken much longer. I also switched to a inking pen on the software to simulate the line work. I was really just playing around and trying to get a loose representation in the same time that Matt did. I only used his reference on the screen.

When taking my time i can get very realistic with digital art.

Im trying to get my real art to that level.

Lenet

2 Likes

Hi Lenet @lenetg137
There is just too much cool creative stuff out there one can learn, but not nearly enough time.

Since I don’t have an iPad or Apple pencil, I don’t see this on my to-do list any time in the near future. But thanks for the info - it’s interesting.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I used mixed media paper. It seems like a long time since I painted. I enjoyed this.

3 Likes

@janed , Looks great!

Lenet

1 Like

Terri @robichon , your handwork is so good, I don’t know if you could improve much digitally. It’s just another type of medium that has pros and cons.

Lenet

1 Like

Hi Jane @janed

This looks great. Thanks so much for being part of this community and sharing your artwork with us.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thank you so much Terri. It’s the best place on the internet!

1 Like

This is great. Love it.

Wow, everyone’s painting is unique. I really loved watching the lesson and enjoy seeing your results.

@lenetg137 great idea to work on your tablet. I sometimes do some sketches on my one too, bit since it’s both android and old, I do have a very small program running.

@robichon Terri, yes, so mandy different mediums to choose from out there. Over the years, I found out, which ones I prefer - still quite some fiew and depending on my mood.

I like all drawing mediums except oil pastels. For paintings, I prefer water color including pen & ink.

1 Like

Looks amazing. Exactly what I would like to learn how to do well, much more so than realistic drawing. Sketching with graphite and colored pencils!

Thanks @Buddy , I treated this as a practice excercise to try to quickly see how Procreate would handle that watercolor simulation. I just started using Procreate. My other digital work has been on Sketchbook.

Lenet

1 Like

Finally did the Urban Sketch Getting Sketchy
Totally enjoyed it, even though I got lost and ended up with an extra tree and maybe an extra building i think :thinking:
Now to start on the live lesson :hot_face:

4 Likes

Hi Lenet, Procreate won’t run on my android device but Sketchbook does. Thanks for sharing these information. If I work digital, I usually work with Infinite Painter.I have tried to play around with digital water color, but it doesn’t look as great as your sketch.

Buddy

Hey wow, Sonia, you did great. Have you been working on a canvas or which paper did you use? I ask, because of the survace’s structure.

A reference is a guideline. You can add or leave out whatever and as much you like.

Buddy

1 Like

Thank you @Buddy,

The paper is a cheap watercolor canson graduate paper pad 117 lbs.
It’s not cotton. The texture resembles canvas but it peels off if too much water is added. I’ve had it for a while and was curious to see how it would work. I will Not be using it again especially for a watercolor painting as opposed to a sketch.

Sonia

1 Like