Crab in inks with Matt

This the crab in Matt’s drawing with ink series. He used all black ink but I experimented with coloured ink too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this class :slightly_smiling_face:

17 Likes

Excellent job. Love it.

1 Like

Sorry your crab didn’t get more replies. You did a wonderful job of adding the color and getting the roundness of the crab legs. What else have yo been doing?

Thanks Jane…I’ve been busy with various mediums and posted some since this one. I work mainly with ink, coloured pencils and Posca pens.

4 Likes

I love your use of colors. I am enjoying seeing your drawings from the course. I did it a while ago and learned alot

Thank you…I agree, the course gives you the confidence to be more adventurous with your pens :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great detail on the conche (?) shell! What were you using for inks? I have a couple dozen of the inks in Dr Ph Martins Spectralite acrylic ink sets of all sorts of colors but haven’t used more than 2 in a project yet, only recently used 2 - Red and Green, for Christmas. I like Pen and ink a lot, especially with dip pens and second to my lack of patience, I struggle with deciding which details to leave out in the simplification. I think I’ll try play with a photo editor to see how the different pen effects and messing around with tablet to get ideas. In the “Subjects in Pen and Ink” course I just finished, I pretty much always over-simplified or added a lot more detail than Matt used, but I ended up using his method, but am thinking of doing some others with the detail and density I think of first. Adding in color when I’m not really detailing them optimally to start with would end up with some ugly ugly stuff. So just practicing patience and after that I’ll go to more challenging options.

Thanks. I just picked up a random set or two from Amazon with fine nibs…not sure of the make as currently out of country and left them behind. The shell is quite large so, labour intensive with ink! On reflection, it would have been better to use coloured pencils with ink highlights :wink:

I love it!!! This would look amazing in a beach house framed with drift wood! The coloration is beautiful!

Thank you! I tried to push the boundaries and make it bold. :slightly_smiling_face:

I suspect that colored pencil would have given you another lovely drawing that was different but equal to this one. My experience with using ink is that I am a lot more thoughtful with where I put it. It’s so permanent. But with colored pencil I feel I can fudge a bit if I need to. Are you using the Pigma micron colored pens? I just recently bought a set and have just started using them.

Thanks…yes, I agree, it would have looked good in coloured pencil. I also work a lot with that medium. I like the pigma micron pens too. Hope you have fun with them :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting your work. I love working in pen and ink and you have inspired me to branch out into using more colors other than black. Thank you!

Cheers!

SLC

Thank you…I’m so happy to hear you are starting to use colours too and like my work :blush:

1 Like

@ReetPetite i love all of your pieces but the goldfish with the umbrella takes the cake!!! I would so have that hanging on my wall! Do you have a bussiness?

So glad you like my work :heart_eyes:
I keep meaning to set up a business but find I’m quite busy with word of mouth recommendations for commission work. The fish was a small sketch for my grand daughter that I intend to do again as a larger work and take more time over it :blush:

1 Like

Hey RP. I wanted to show you the exercise I did from the same course as your colored crab and how your drawing encouraged me to play around a little bit. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers!

SLC

1 Like

Nice! :blush:
Keep going… I like the enhancement the colour gives.

Janet

1 Like

Just beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.