Pen and Ink drawings

I’ve been itching to try pen and ink , and ink wash. I started the Subjects in Pen and Ink yesterday. I think it might teach me to relax and loosen up. The ink bottle is a mess. The feather is progressively better. Two down, 29 to go.

Brenda

10 Likes

looks good! My favorite to do was the orchid

1 Like

Nice work. The feather really achieved the look of a soft texture.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your comments.

Brenda

You did a great job for a try.

1 Like

The acorn. I want to think my marks are becoming more successful. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi Brenda -

I love how much time you devote to your art, and that you share your progress here. I really like ink and wash drawings and think you will too. I never did this lesson series, but it looks like a good one. (OH - that feather is awesome and you’ve created a nice range of values.)

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thank you so much Terri. I’m loving this course. It’s the first one I’ve done in a while, and the structure of doing a lesson or part of one every day has been good for me. Daily practice keeps me motivated. Encouragement from you and others also keeps me going. Thank you again, so much.

Brenda

1 Like

Dear Brenda, I hope your inking is going well. I was taking a break from 3 little birds when I peeked in to this course. Ink bottle was hard for me, had to do it couple of times. Sapped all my energy :rofl: I better get back to my humming bird. All of your pictures are looking great. Here’s my monster of an ink bottle.

3 Likes

The pen and ink boot. Lots of patience.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! Your ink bottles look great!! I’m about to start the pumpkin.

Maybe when you finish the little birds, you can try more of this course!

Brenda

Boot looks really good. I have been bouncing back and forth so much, i have to get back to the pen and ink. Here are a couple of mine.

2 Likes

Pumpkin. I can feel the control becoming better. I see I can darken my shadows. I’ll do that before the next drawing.

3 Likes

Awesome Lenet! I really am enjoying seeing others’ pen and ink work!! Thank you for sharing!

Brenda.

Hello Brenda,

Did the feather tonight. Grounded it a little with subtle back cast shadow.

3 Likes

Love it Lenet! This has been my favorite so far. I like the addition of the bit of shadow!

Brenda

I am an architect by profession and don’t much care for floating objects. I guess it is because i haven’t figured out how to make a building float and defy gravity. LOL. I too am enjoying getting back into some pen and ink. Haven’t really done much of it since architect school 27 years ago. I feel rusty since my work is almost exclusively on computer. However, i feel like i can be much looser with the artwork. In school all of our pen and ink was rigid and done with parallel bars and triangles as guides. Everything had to be precise there.

Hi Lenet, you bring up a great point! I went back and looked at the photo reference of the feather, and saw a very dim shadow. However, I also thought that if anything were going to “float” through the air, it might be a feather, so I left mine floating. LOL!!

I get where you’re coming from, though, about anchoring things, and I suspect it’s just that much more important for someone who is an architect. And that’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

Brenda

Today’s image. A rose. I feel I had less control with this drawing, and I’m not sure why. However, I’m okay with it, and realize my drawing skills are getting stronger as my inking skills improve incrementally.

HaHa! I did the lines on the leaves backwards!!! Ah, learning things we don’t know we learn.

2 Likes

Those drawings look really nice already! I love using pen and ink as well. Recently I bought a dip pen at a thrift store for just €1,50 and I want to use it more in combination with sepia ink. But I don’t know if that will look good with most subjects, as you usually see more pen and ink drawings with black.

1 Like