GETTIN SKETHCY - biplane

Here is my biplane. Please share yours! I used staedtler pigment liners (black) and tombow markers The paper is a marker paper by tombow

9 Likes

Very nice! Love the mini pilot too! :smile: Happy Thanksgiving!

I did it smaller, around 3.5" x 6" and didnā€™t ink it as I didnā€™t have markers and options were ink or watercolor, which doesnā€™t go so well on just sketchbook paper, and pastels or colored pencils which just seemed like too much work. I didnā€™t get the proportions exact and the wing size/locations really messed up/not big enough as well as the wing cross spars so it will forever be a pencil sketch.

ā€“ETA: Now that I post this I could have used the negative space above engine cowling as the ā€˜target cornerā€™ of upper wing to draw it but kind of filled in too many details with darker pencil which would not erase easily so would look ofā€¦ I notice I forgot the tail landing gear entirely as well.

2 Likes

2 Likes

All three of these expressions of the airplane are nice, unique, and fun to look at.

Now I wish I had drawn it, just didnā€™t have energy last night.

Great job everyone, so inspiring!

Teri

This is great. I love it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

My bi-plane from Gettinā€™ Sketchy. First time to do ink and use markers. It was fun.

3 Likes

Love it June! I didnā€™t draw along in real time. I had to do it afterward. I get really frustrated when I feel rushed. It actually took me 45 minutes to get a decent sketch! LOL!

I used Artline in pen, 0.4 tip. I tried 0.2, but it was just too fine. I used Prismacolor markers. Instead of the 20% cool grey, I used 30%, then 50%, 70%, and black.

Looks great! Iā€™m kind of embarrassed of my attempt, should have done another and posted attempt #2. Iā€™m tied up in the ā€œSubjects in Pen and Inkā€ class though so no desire to re-do the plane, too many finicky bits on it.

1 Like

It was an interesting exercise for me. There are certainly parts I could have done better, but I think all practice is good practice. My perspective on the wings is a little wonky, but I learned a few things! I like that you did yours with graphite and I m glad you posted it. How are you liking the pen and ink course?

The Pen and Ink course is really good. The ā€œSubjects in Pen and Inkā€ course shows a whole lot of different situations/categories and how to deal with textures in an accurate way, helping to decide what to simplify so that it is a representative drawing rather than a photo-realistic drawing. I use both the G Nib dip pen and india ink as well as the Staedtler 6 pen set. I prefer the nib pen but when doing something in a relaxed posture I use the liner pens since the pen and ink is unwieldy. I have found that the ā€œInk Miserā€ ink well, a vase shaped inkwell with a very small diameter bottom makes it much easier to only have a few drops of ink out of bottle at a time while still able to dip nib to halfway up the vent slot reliably without worry of going too far and getting splotches and other fluid ink. I use Dr Phil Martinā€™s ā€œBlack Star Ultra-Matteā€ ink and it just looks WAY better than the Staedtler (or any other pen) ink looks. Makes it so very fine lines can show more detail with fewer strokes compared to even the 0.05mm liner pen, the nib is around 0.01mm with light touch and can go to around 1.5 mm with heavy touch as nib flexes, so only one point needed and no swapping pens in and out to make a bold line. The ā€œSpoonā€ or ā€œSchoolā€ nib (Japanese) goes from about 0.8mm to 4mm while being more forgiving on pressure/width changes from being stiffer (also holds more ink). The G nib can also make a narrow line evenly widen and stop or narrow back to a super fine line with pressure control. That control sort of needs a fixed desk to work on rather than doing stuff on lap, which is when I use the disposable pens. I recommend both the Pen and ink and Subjects in Pen and ink courses. They seem daunting at first but once you do a few it becomes much easier and results improve greatly with practice.

I initially didnā€™t like the dip pen but that was using the Speedball ā€œSketching Setā€ plastic pen/nib holder and set of nibs and dipping in open bottle of ink. The cheap plastic holder really sucks and the nibs arenā€™t much better compared to the Japanese nibs and pens. After switching over to the wooden pen with cushion and Japanese nibs (I use spoon for very wide and the G for most everything else) it has become my favorite format for a bit, was NuPastels then watercolor which I still use but the line and wash combining ink and watercolor is my favorite fast picture after a sketch method, the stippling or cross hatching is very relaxing. The wash part is very frustrating as watercolor isnā€™t very forgiving, but it lets you get into the Zen of doing hatching again which I find greatly relaxing. The only stressful bit is the initial sketch but once you have that down, there isnā€™t anything to really worry about with inking the lines and putting down tones via point or line density.

So, Iā€™d suggest at least having the 0.05-0.8mm liner pen set (I got the Dyvicl Pigment liners cheap on Amazon and they suck, work great but run out of ink really fast), so stick with the Staedtler or Pygmy Micron disposable pens and give it a shot!

ā€“ETA: I sure do use a lot of words to not say very muchā€¦ I need to hire an editor or something.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this great rendering of aā€¦ Hatz HB-1?
Looks nice!
Jack

Thank you for sharing this great rendering of aā€¦ Hatz HB-1?
Looks nice!
Jack

Thanks for all the info! I just ordered a Speedball sketching set, but will maybe return it and get something else. Iā€™ll re=read your post to make a decision. I ordered the Speedball Super Black India Ink. Iā€™ll also see what Mattā€™s suggestions are. As you can see, I think Iā€™m intending to try the pen and ink course, but I have some things to finish up before Christmas. Iā€™ll likely do pen and ink after the holidays. That gives me time to study the different tools and inks that are available.

Thanks again!
Brenda

Hereā€™s the nib holder/pen I like (Will hold the Speedball nibs as well, the ā€œUā€ shaped ones)

These are the ā€œGā€ nibs:

These are the super-super fine Nibs called ā€œMaruā€ which need a little different nib holder (Same as ā€œhawkā€ 101 Speedball nib size for mounting) That nib holder comes in the Sketching set as well as the 101 Speedball nib, the Maru is just a bit sharper and holds a bit more ink while still giving ultra fine line

Holder for ā€œHawkā€ (speedball) or Maru nibs which have a full round metal bit to plug into nib holder:

And this set is OK, two wooden nib holders and a variety of the Japanese nibs, including 4 G, 4 Spoon/School, and 4 Maru IIRC which are the most used as between them they cover line from super razor thin to several mm wide depending on pressure. The other nib holder/pen is needed for the small diameter nibs and the standard size for the G and spoon/school nibs

(Overpriced) Ink Miser but it makes things a lot less messy, especially if you velcro it to the desk

And the Ink I like best:

In case I wasnā€™t making sense above. Iā€™m not affiliated with any of them. The Speedball ink should be fine if it is the carbon one, there is a higher carbon black from Dr. Martins called ā€œHicarbā€ instead of ā€œMatteā€ but the matte really makes it look blacker with no sheen at all compared to other inks.

The Ink Miser lets you use any of the nib pens with just 5 drops of ink in it which is why I like it, even if it tips over itā€™s not a hazmat mess situation, but velcro square to workbench and then it can get bumped pretty good and not spill, I just put a little cork I got at the hardware store in it between uses.

The Speedball and ā€œGā€ Nibs or even that starter set with the wood handles is a great start, you donā€™t notice a huge difference until using the ultra matte ink, then it really, really looks a lot better since the finest line you can make still can be seen while leaving lots of white around it to allow for great shading/hatching/stippling.

So, in order:
Tachikawa T-40 Nib holder w/cushion
Dr Phil Martinā€™s Matte ink
Ink Miser

The all in one 12 nib w/2 handle set is also a great way to find out. The nibs DO wear down after a while, but it takes a lot of line work to notice the scratchy feeling that shows up. Itā€™s a way better start option than the Speedball set since the plastic speedball pens are hard plastic and have a mold ridge on them and are just uncomfortable to hold for me.

1 Like

Wow, Thanks! Iā€™ll actually check all the things you provided links for. I said Iā€™d never done ink before, but I do have a small watercolor that I inked. Iā€™ll get a pic and post it.

Again thanks for all the info. I know it will help tremendously as I look for the tools to take the course.

Brenda

Hereā€™s the watercolor that inked. Believe me, I had really no clue what I was doing! It did, however, capture the flowersā€™ ā€œpersonalityā€ so I kept it and had it framed. :grin:

I hope itā€™s ok that Iā€™ve strayed a bit from the bi-plane drawing.
Brenda.

2 Likes

That looks FAR better than my first attempt. Several were spent discovering the difference between ā€œwaterproofā€ and ā€œWater resistantā€ inks, then a huge sidetrack learning watercolor mixing and tinting so everything wasnā€™t all fully saturated color all the time. That then led me from the super cheap half pan sets to using Daniel Smith ā€œpaint stickā€ watercolors and everything suddenly became easier and acted like it was supposed making bright secondary/tertiary color mixes instead of mixing blue and yellow and getting a grey green with the no-name watercolors and other strange color reactions.

1 Like

@Brenda this is beautiful! :clap:

1 Like