Kittens and Yarn

This is my first colored pencil since I started to take some of Matt’s courses in August when I joined the Virtual Instructor. My main focus was color theory and focal point. Things I never thought of before being a self taught artist when I first started.

Any suggestions on improvements are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you for taking a look!
IMG_0375 - Copy|240x320

1 Like

I’ll try to upload the picture again. Sorry I did it wrong the first timeIMG_0375 - Copy

4 Likes

This is great work. I love it.

Thank you so much Denise.

Hi Teri, thank you for sharing your coloured pencils drawing. I love your unique and humorous approach to drawing kittens. I also admire the consistency in the way you apply the material throughout the entire drawing. Given that this is your first attempt at a coloured pencils drawing, I think this level of technical achievement is amazing. The colours balance of the whole picture is excellent too.
As to some room for improvement, I might want to make the negative space larger to make the context in which the kittens are clearer. By so doing I would perhaps try to bring some feelings of depth in the scene at the same time. And it is only one of my habits as a filmmaker, but I would change the posing of the kittens so that I can bring some story-telling nature to the scene.

Hope this is of some help for you!
Maki

Maki,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I had thought about the negative space but did not want it to seem bottom heavy so added the faded branches in the windows. I also agree about the kittens. They need to be interacting with each other more.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Teri

1 Like

Very cute. A lot of detail.

Thank you so much Ginny.