Live lesson Peony

Help! I introduced too bright a color (yellow). This flower has been a first in many things. I’ve tried to dull it down but I think I’ve overworked it. I’m happy with the rest of it but that area is driving me crazy

3 Likes

I think the yellow is working. As long as you keep it consistent, looks great. Keep going and it should balance out when you are finished

2 Likes

You are off to a great start. Looking really good.

Teri

1 Like

I think it looks great! :grin: You’re being too hard on yourself. It looks consistent,
Let me show you what I started last night and did not work at all… first off, didn’t use the right paper, i substituted the colors I didn’t have with others without even color testing, the graphite lines were too faint for me to color the correct area… all this on the first and only petal I worked on :woman_facepalming:t4: i will start over…
No big deal you live, you learn …

1 Like

Thanks Sonia. We are our own worst critics for sure. This has been such a great learning experience. I appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

1 Like

Hi Valerie - Okay, here is a possible fix because sometimes I overwork things and have to adjust. Try an erasier to try to remove the unwanted color. If you have a lot of layers under it, you may even be able to carefully try a small electric erasier, but be careful not to damage the paper. Then sometimes after that you can put down something light like cream or white before adding the desired color on top. That may help to keep it from getting muddy looking. I did use an erasier a few times on the one I did recently. Hope this helps. Just take it slow.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

I feel that the yellow is fine and that you are moving along in the right direction. I love this.

1 Like

I went back and looked at Matt’s drawing. Yours is not a slavish copy of his. You have your own artistic vision. As long as you are consistent with your vision I think you will be happy with this beautiful drawing. I put mine up on the china cabinet across from where I sit at the dining table and just look at then for a couple or several days (in one case 18 years, but that’s another story). Often what bothers me about my work either gets corrected or I decide that it isn’t so bad. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

I truly appreciate your encouragement. I chunked it in the trash after I posted it here ordered a full set of Prismacolor pencils and the same paper Matt uses because I was determined to do exactly as he does. Well my new set on pencils arrived, as I made the swatch I realized there’s no Lilac PC 956 or Lavender. Instead they sent a blender and two white pencils. I realize the colors used don’t really matter, but really??!
Apparently Lilac is not included in the newer sets. Ugh! Oh well… you live, you learn…so much for the huge expense since I own two smaller prismas sets

1 Like

It isn’t the first time an artist ordered something and discovered she already had one. Just think, you can do twice as many colored pencil drawings now. I was surprised at how much of a pencil I went through doing the bird drawings. Maybe you can order a single lilac pencil from Dick Blick or one of the other are suppliers. Or maybe you can find the color you need from another manufacturer.

Or…you can have a very colorful bonfire. Your drawing was lovely, I’m sorry you trashed it. Over the years I have kept what someone called artistic “hockey pucks” to remind me not to make the same mistake again. Flying Bananas was a watercolor still life of bananas on a Mexican mat. I did a really good job, it looked really lifelike, but something wasn’t quite right with it. A couple of days of staring at it made me realize I had forgotten to put in the shadows. No wonder, they looked like they were flying! Having a rather odd sense of humor, I’ve kept them that way. Maybe I’ll do an art book on mistakes.

Can you send it back? Or at least complain to the company. Sometimes they are sympathetic.

2 Likes

Being prime day (yesterday and today) I’ve been looking around amazon. The lilac pencil is $ 11 ish, guess I’ll order it just to have a complete set of 150 pencils at some point.

Hi Sonia - I just looked at the Blick site and found that they don’t have PC 956 anymore. There is a NEW color called Amethyst (PC 1104) and the individual pencils are $1.39 there. Also take a look at Greyed Lavender (PC 1026), or Parma Violet (PC 1008).

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Terri,
Thank you! I will look at all of it. I’ve been using greyed lavender and another one from luminance color pencils. I’m on lesson 3 of peony on the homework petal. Also Michaels has lilac in stock online at $2 something, but you must order $49 + to have it shipped for free haha

1 Like

Thank you Jane! I finally finished it. I’m very happy with the final outcome. I do just sit and stare at it, lol. I made some corrections and just did the leaves my own way. I appreciate your kind words!

So glad you finished. Such a feeling of accomplishment when something gets done that feels right. Will we see it soon?
JAne

2 Likes

That is simply exquisite. I could look at it all day. How big did you say it is? I would title it “Sunkist Peony” Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Hi Valerie -
Nice job !!!

1 Like

Thank you Jane! That’s a great name for it! It’s 9x6. I haven’t decided if I want to get a bigger frame and mat it or one just to fit. It’s the first drawing I’ve done that I want to frame.

Valerie:

Since I hang a lot of shows in the Rec Center where I work, I tend to stick with white hued mats. For small paintings like this one, a double mat is nice. Is the art 9 x 6, or the paper, 9 x 6? I’m getting 4.75 x 3 on screen which would be closer to 91/2 by 6. I only think about framing. I am all for framing in regular sizes. Made to order frames are just too expensive. I would love to see some of your other art which you didn’t think “good enough”. Sometimes when we don’t look at our art for a while it turns out to be better than we thought originally. Thank you for sharing.

Jane