Live Lesson - Peony Flower with colored pencils

I like to watch the Live Lessons in “real time” but prefer to go back later to actually draw (or paint) them. That way I can watch a little, draw, replay if necessary, and then continue at my own pace.

I’ve just started the Peony Flower with colored pencil and this is what mine is looking like at the end of lessons 1 and 2. So far we’ve used 11 different colors of pencils and the colorless blender. Eight more lessons to go.

Terri Robichon

10 Likes

Beautiful, Terri! This encourages me to go back to live lessons prior to joining TVI. I love how knowledgeable Matt is about color theory. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Brenda

Hi Brenda. Thanks for your kind words and continued support. I’m hoping to finish this within the next week.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

So far you are doing a great job. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

1 Like

I listen to the record lessons as well.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to it being completed too. :grinning:
I’m just finishing lesson 3 right now.

Terri Robichon

Loving this! I started this one ages ago and forgot to finish it! Maybe I should dig it up. I am slowly working thru some of the older live lessons.

Hi junenez
Yes, pull it out and post your progress here.

Terri Robichon

Just posting my progress. Finished lesson 4 and did half the homework.

Terri Robichon

6 Likes

Can’t wait to see it all finished, that’s a lot of pencil lines and layers! Great work so far! :exploding_head: :clap: :hibiscus:

1 Like

Goodness gracious! Looking beautiful already, can’t wait to the finished work!

You always amaze me! This is so beautiful already.

Brenda

1 Like

I can’t wait for it to be finished either :smile:

Terri Robichon

Thanks Brenda -
They always take so much more time and concentration than I expect, and this one is no exception. But so far, I’m liking it and learning a lot.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I see you are getting there. Looks real good so far. Look forward to the finished one.

1 Like

Terri: magnificent work! @ questions: what paper are you using? and is that white pencil I’m seeing in the highlighted edges? Thanks for sharing.

Hi Jane. It’s Stonehenge white paper, as suggested by Matt. It has been really nice to work on. And YES I have been using some white colored pencil. In fact, when I do colored pencil, I often like to put down a light base of white for the lighter areas, before applying the light pink (in the case of this project). I think it can keep the color looking more vibrant, and less muddy (as can happen when using so many layers).

Terri Robichon

Have you ever done a paper comparison? I like Stonehenge, but there ae other ones out there that look good too. I find it makes a lot of difference in the “smoothness” of the look of the colored pencil. I wonder about Arches hot press watercolor paper. Haven’t tried it yet.

Your peony is looking beautiful. The petals really look 3d. This was the first live lesson I did and after only the first 2-3 coloured pencil course modules. I fell in love with the process and media.

1 Like

Hi Jane -
The one paper I use the most (and for the most media) is Arches 300# Hot Press watercolor paper. It is thick (so it can handle wet stuff) and it has a smooth texture (because I do a lot of fine detail and textured papers makes that hard).

One downside is that you have to buy it on-line (most stores don’t have it, and even if they did, I don’t want to buy paper that other people have handled because oils from hands can damage it). I buy mine from DickBlick.com (also known as Blick Art Materials).

The other downside is that it only comes in big sheets and is expensive. I have a flat file where I keep mine and cut it into the sizes I need, as I need them.

I have almost every other kind of paper that Matt has mentioned so if you have questions about others, feel free to ask me.

That being said, I do like the convenience, price and performance of the Stonehenge for colored pencils. I have bought it in the pads with several sheets of paper.

By the way, Matt recently did a members minute (episode 428) of a mostly colored pencil drawing that I did on the 300# Arches watercolor paper.

Terri Robichon