Working with COLORED PENCILS

I’ve been in the mood to work with colored pencils, improving my skills. This Virtual Instructor class on blending was really good.

8 Likes

After the lesson on peppers, I decided to try out the bee from an older Live Lesson. This time my goal was to work on textures. Another great class.

I’d love to see if anyone else has done these lessons, or other things with a focus on colored pencils.

Terri Robichon

6 Likes

Yup - I’m sticking with colored pencils right now. (Scroll up to see the other two completed drawings.)
I just finished lesson 2 of the recorded live lessons for “Wooded Stream”. I thought this would be good because it uses Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils (instead of the Prismacolor pencils which I typically use).

Terri Robichon

3 Likes

Excellent. Great job.

Very Well done. Love them both

1 Like

Thanks for looking Denise. I appreciate the kind words.

Terri Robichon

Hi Terri!

I did the peppers a long time ago (at least, it seems like it). I did not reach the same quality level as you did. Very nicely done. Right now, I am sticking with pastels and loving every minute!
Patricia.

Hi Patricia. Isn’t it fun how many options there are at The Virtual Instructor. Thanks for looking at the post and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

Terri Robichon

I agree. Thanks to all the mediums Matt covers, we can truly explore what we feel comfortable with and what we prefer to use. That was the main reason I joined.
Patricia.

1 Like

So vibrant! :star_struck: Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Exelent work on all 3 :ok_hand:

Thanks Barbara1969. I’m continuing work on the landscape right now. One lesson to finish.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

So here is my finished colored pencil drawing called “Wooded Stream” from one of Matt’s older live lessons.

Terri Robichon

5 Likes

Wow this exelent work :clap:
who knows i get there to, landscape s on my to try list :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Really lovely. Love the depth you get. I did the kingfisher lesson and then several other birds in colored pencil. I kept finding myself with my nose practically on the paper. But you get good results. I did not try doing a whole landscape, just vignettes with leaves or branches. How big are your drawings? I was using 9 x 12 paper.

Hi matriarchJane39 -
Thanks for your nice comments. Regarding sizes, the red peppers are sized for a 5 x 7 matt (so the paper is a little bigger than that. The finished size of the bee is 8 x 10. The landscape is 6 x 8 (which is bigger than Matt’s drawing which I think was 4" wide. Whenever possible I try to size my artwork so that it will fit in standard frames. By the way, when I’m doing fine detail work I often use a magnifying glass. It can be very “close work” so you’re not alone.

Terri Robichon

Beautiful, Terri! Thanks for sharing these.

Brenda

1 Like

Yes, Terri I learned many years ago to size for standard frames. Saves a lot of trouble. I really enjoyed Matt’s colored pencil lessons. Learned a lot. But then I had to break loose and do something that was not so controlled - alcohol ink! If I can ever figure out how to upload my photos, I will post them. (My previous tries did not work!!)

Hi Jane -
If you are having problems uploading your photos, it may be because the image files size is too large. When uploading for the members minute critique it says image files must be under 2 MB. Hope that helps.
Terri Robichon

Terri: Thanks, I will try that and see if that’s the problem.

Jane

1 Like