Elephant - colored pencil lesson

This was a great lesson (originally posted on YouTube). My finished drawing is 8 x 10 on Bristol Paper (Vellum Surface) and I used Prismacolor Premier colored pencils.

If you’re interested in learning how to start with colored pencils or improve your skills, I highly recommend this drawing. It uses lots of layers and Matt explains when you should use a colorless blender, and when you don’t blend so that you can add the fine details. Worth noting - there was no reference photo for this class, so you’ll have to use Matt’s finished drawing as your reference.

If you’ve done this drawing, I’d love to have you share your artwork here.

Terri Robichon

5 Likes

Terri,

I have not done this one. This is a beautiful elephant. Your work is always so amazing.

June

1 Like

I am blown away by your beautiful elephant! Always a joy to see your beautiful art. I will add it to my to do list.

1 Like

Hello Terri, thank you for sharing your beautiful drawing. I am going to start working on coloured pencil drawings once I will have completed all the planned ballpoint pen drawings, so the tutorial information is really helpful! :smiley: :+1: :cat:

1 Like

Hi Maki - Nice to hear from you. I’m really liking colored pencils and look forward to seeing your drawings with this media. I’m sure they will be wonderful.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hi Sonia -
Don’t forget to post your drawing when it is done, even if it’s months from now.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thanks June, I appreciate your kind words.

Terri Robichon

This is lovely with lovely colours merging seamlessly. Furthermore, very impressive use of tonal values….a pleasure to view :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks Janet for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me.

Terri Robichon

This looks great! Really nice job.
Pete

1 Like

Thanks so much for your kind words.

Terri Robichon

Terri w 2 r’s

Wonderful rendering of this elephant. The wrinkles turned out real nice. Shows the importance of value.

Will this go with you to the fair???

Teri

1 Like

Hi Teri. Yup, it is for Colored Pencil - Animal category.

Terri Robichon

NICE! If you had not mentioned that a photo reference did not exist, I would have thought your work was the reference.
Jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Terri Robichon