THE ELEPHANT šŸ˜ - Getting Sketchy -15/07/21 - Elephant Pencils Drawing

Well, I am seaman I was looking for a Hobby. 7 months ago Iā€™ve started to make lines with no sense. I was here and there with some other web lessons etc. itā€™s been like 2 months I bought Mr Matā€™s pack. Finished 25 days drawing but for last lesson Iā€™ve tried the ELEPHANT.
May I please ask for critiques. Sometimes I am thinking that all my drawings are ugly but I am a lucky person with polite people around him.

Thank you very much in advance
Pantelis Kokris

3 Likes

Very well done.Love it

1 Like

Hi Pantelis -
This is a VERY GOOD gettinā€™ sketchy project (from season 4 Episode 7). The only things I would say could improve it is if you had included the feet / bottom of the trunk, and if you pushed the dark tones a little darker. A gettin sketchy project is for the fun of it and is not intended to be super refined. So yup, you did really well with this one.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hello @Pankok , this is a pretty good drawing. Most of the values are separated enough to read all the forms. Donā€™t be afraid of making some of the darkest areas even darker. That will give your drawing even more depth. You would be surprised at how much more it will pop off the page if you added more dark tones in the darkest areas.

Great job.

Lenet

1 Like

Wonderful elephant! You captured a personality! And as they have said - push the darks! It is scary but once you start you realize that it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for sharing

1 Like

@Pankok
Your elephant turned out great! The getting sketchy is challenging for me to follow right along, my attention span is not long enough to do so. I agree with the pushing the dark values. Thatā€™s something Iā€™m still working on. I think you should try a graphite lesson and take your time to appreciate your new skills better.
Keep on posting your work!

Sonia

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response.
Indeed I am kinda afraid to push dark values to even darkest! I think itā€™s gonna be a disaster! :face_with_peeking_eye: Iā€™ve started the crab :crab: atm .
Thank you again !

2 Likes

Hello there Sir! I am very much appreciated for your comment. Indeed, I am afraid to push the dark value further. The reason I feel so unsecured I guess itā€™s because Iā€™ve started taking seriously drawing 7 months ago. Iā€™ve ever never draw this way before.
So in case sir I will try next drawing to push the values darker I feel like I donā€™t know which one should be pushed further. But I will try :grin:
Thanks again for your response

1 Like

Thank you so much Mom

Thank you very much for your commen!
Ok next drawing I will be trying to push those dark more
Thanks again

Thatā€™s my plan. I did finish the ā€œ25 days to better drawingā€.
I am planning to follow up the guide to graphite then realistic drawing
Thanks again for your comment

1 Like

Hello @Pankok ,

I took your picture into photo editor and added some value to give you an idea. Did very quickly, so not perfect nor did I go back to the reference image. I really just enhanced areas you had. Hope this helps give you a better idea. I just tried to think about where light doesnā€™t hit as much based on your perceived light source. You pretty much had the shading areas correct. But i darkened them for effect. Hope this helps.

Lenet

3 Likes

Dear God ! That looks way much better and more detailed!
Clearly I have to overcome my insecurities and do some darks more darker.
Once again thank you so much for all this explanation!!!
Very much appreciated.
Currently working on one of the very first sketchy lives,
The crab. Promise will try to push my values further with a 2B pencil

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing your drawing. By reading the feedback of others in the group and seeing the photoshopped darker values, I learned a lot! It was nice to visually see what the darkening of shadows can do to a drawing.

I do like the way that you created the folds in the ears of the elephant.

1 Like