Mountain Man, Tom Oar

Hi,
I’m following up with a pencil graphite of another hero craftsman, Tom Oar.

5 Likes

This is striking. What a gentle face.

Nice. . .I love the emotion on his face

Thank you, Margaret. He’s one of my favorites. These guys are very special.
Jeff

Thanks, Peter. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Jeff

I agree, I am new and like going through piece posted before I joined. You really captured the kindness in his expression.
I hope to be able to do an even halfway decent portrait one day. I have always been afraid of them.

Teri

Teri, thanks for the comment. I’m sure you will do just fine. There is tons of info here. I began slowly in the Shading and Lighting lessons. Once I got a slight grasp on those concepts I started with trying to capture a facial image from a magazine or photo. I experimented with The Grid Technique and still use it now and then. It is so exacting. Then I began to learn about tools like the Proportional Divider Drawing Tool for Artists and rulers. Lord, I measure and try to check everything. With a divider, you can shrink or enlarge a subject at will. Like the size of an eye or the distance from the hairline to the chin and all points in between. However, I admit that sometimes I just don’t know enough to exactly duplicate an effect. At that point, it’s my artistic flair or artist perception. I started learning the techniques used in Photo Realism about 4 months ago and got hung up on life stuff. I’ll probably spend another 2 years learning as much as I can on that subject. To get the most out of drawing you can’t rush it. I’m still in my infancy and I’ve drawn EVERY night for 2 years. I get more done just sitting in bed when all is quiet and peaceful. Most nights I spend 4-5 hours practicing by using portraits and photos for reference material ie; cowboys, horses, mountain men. Unfortunately, I’m in a dry spell as of late but intend to share more of my attempts later.
Hope this reply helps you along your journey.
Jeff

Jeff, Thank you for so much useful information. I really appreciate it. I look forward to seeing more of your artwork!