Weathered man on black paper with colored pencils

Thanks to great instruction and sharing of expertise on this site, I have really come a long way in the year I’ve been a member. I could not have done this before. This took me about an hour tonight because of what I’ve learned from Matt and Ashley. It was done on a 7x11 Canson 92lb black paper with a grey and a brown Staedtler colored pencil. I added a tiny bit of white charcoal too. Reference was found on Pixabay. So grateful I found this site!!!

10 Likes

The texture in the beard is amazing! Really nice work @Ken_H ! Wow, I can’t believe that only took you an hour! Jesus loves you!!!

1 Like

Thank you! I was really surprised how quickly things came together. Everything was just ‘right’ for me. I struggle starting and finishing projects because of distractions. Getting results like this will hopefully help me taking advantage of opportunities when they come up. Watching Gettin Sketchy has made me try to look for an hour straight to use. So grateful for what I’ve learned.

1 Like

That s great. Great job with his one.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I love this. I agree with TheMustardSeedLife. That beard is particularly impressive. Great job!

1 Like

Same here, a lot of depth in there. Very nice! Keep it up!

Thank you! It really helps to motivate me more by hearing this feedback.

I will definitely keep working at it and hopefully venture into other media. I’ve enjoyed doing graphite mostly and found this to be fun too. Pastel work has been hard for me to do. Eventually I’d like to tackle painting. Thank you for the encouragement.

2 Likes

Nice! What amazing detail you captured. Loved the expression you captured

Thank you. I really appreciate every comment I get to help me improve. It is one piece I am proud of. Turned out better than I expected. I need to set aside more time to do some artwork. I’ve been dealing with too many distractions lately.

Nice job Ken and welcome to the Community. Keep those posts coming and keep experimenting with other media. This is the perfect place to learn it all.

Terri Robichon

Thank you Terri. I’ve been enjoying Matt and Ashley’s Gettin Sketchy episodes for a couple of years now and joined a little over a year ago. Worth every minute and penny. I just need to set aside time to do more with what I’ve learned.

1 Like