My one and only ink drawing

Hello Glenn, thank you for sharing your first pen and ink drawing. I’ve been enjoying this forum for some years now and as far as I know, there are not many pen & ink persons here. I happen to be stuck with ballpoint pen drawings because I’ve been working on an animated film making using ballpoint pen drawings, so I sort of feel that I’m a bit responsible for giving feedback to someone who posts pen and ink drawings. So here goes…

I think your drawing shows that you have a very good eyes to see the changes in values. Actually, I think that’s the most important asset you can exploit for pen and ink drawings, I mean, at least when you’re working on black and white works. Because you cannot rely on the colours variations in your b&w artworks to create an enjoyable scene, you need to be very very careful in expressing subtle changes in values in your artworks. The lack of rich values variations in b&w works means flat and boring works. In order to express a wide range of values in your artworks, you first need to be able to observe them in your photo references. Your drawing clearly shows that you can do both. I once wrote “I think that the control of the mid-tone in your drawings really makes or breaks the success of your works.” in one of my forum topics before, and I think that you’ve already gotten the hang of it.

As to the potential improvements to your drawing, I would suggest that you work on making the structure of the barn clearer. Roughly, there are two areas where I don’t get the structure of this barn, as indicated with red circles:

Regarding the roof and wall, I cannot tell how the roof is connected to the front wall. When I see this sort of drawing I expect something like this, i.e. the boundary between the roof and the front wall forms a straight line.
Inked640px-Zalmon_Read_Barn_back_view_LI

Are there any cuttings with the front wall of the barn in your drawing? That was the question I had when I first looked at this drawing.

And I cannot tell if the side wall is vertical or sloped because the distance between the side pillars and the wall is unclear. Some pillars look a bit far from the wall, but others look as though stuck with the wall.

This is what I mean by “making the structure of the barn clearer”, but this is only if you’re trying to create a realistic drawing. If not, what I mentioned here is probably all meaningless. Anything is possible in drawings; you may have drawn some imaginary scene with a barn and a tree, which has nothing to do with a real one in the real world.

Regarding the lack of emotional/dynamic component, I may add floating clouds, silhouette leaves in the foreground like I did in my “at dusk” on which you recently commented “omg, omg”. Sheep, dogs, my favourite cats, hen…some animals would make the scene lively. Or a bird on the roof would be lovely too. These additional items may not in your photo reference, which does not matter. I once wrote about creating a new scene combining different reference photos to add some story-telling nature to your art in a topic “tomatoes in colored pencil” for your information.

And then, I will show off some of my pen drawings following your suggestion.

This is the first piece I drew with a ballpoint pen:

followed by these works:

Other works are here.

I look forward to your new works with pen&ink! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1: :cat:

1 Like