Tomatoes in colored pencil

Hi Marie, glad to know that my feedback is of some help for you.
Well, if you’re interested, I suggest you go one more step further with this piece, that is, adding some story-telling nature to this artwork.
In your reply to Patricia, you gave us some background information of your subject, i.e. the tomatoes are hanging from a banana hook.
Then I would plan something like this as my drawing using the situation as the subject:

It doesn’t matter there is no cat, a bird, or a dropping tomato in the actual scene you are now looking at. I use my imagination to set up a scene, a scenario where something is happening. Then I collect reference images of a sleeping cat and flying bird, and maybe some background to show where it is, like window side, patio and so on.
Then I digitally cut and paste these collected references to compile an image of completed piece. This becomes my final reference before I start drawing.

What is particularly interesting about this approach is that the choice of your scenario setting clearly shows what kind of person you are. With my own repeated attempts at many different drawings so far, I have come to aware that I tend to draw something funny, maybe “humorous” I should say. So, looking at the hanging tomatoes, I come up with this somewhat funny story; will the bird be in time to catch the dropping tomato to save the lazy sleeping kitty!? So, once you try this approach when working on new works, you will gradually see your personality coming up from a series of your drawings and come to know yourself better.

For your reference, Matt once mentioned the significance of incorporating some story-telling nature into your drawings in one of his critiques of my works, at around 13:05 :smiley: :+1: :cat:

1 Like