Nighttime harbor in colored inks on black paper

This is a project I have been working on, a small piece, 5 x 7 card. I received some good advice here on making straight lines so decided to share it for any more suggestions.

Critiques are always welcome!

Teri

IMG_1371

10 Likes

What is the medium used? It is stunning. The lines are certainly straight. The reflections are very clear.

1 Like

Oops I just read the description of medium

Hello Sonia,

Thank you for your kind words.

Colored inks. I have some acrylic inks, Dale-Rowney and Sakura Mikron pens as well as Faber-Castell Indian ink pens.

I really enjoy working in ink. With both brushes and pens.

2 Likes

You make it sound so easy. I’m not even close to have tried all mediums used in TVI lessons, but inks are tempting!

At this time I think using colored inks may be my favorite, though I have used many mediums now. I really enjoy colored inks with stippling with the pens and painting, like this one with colored inks. Though line and wash is fun as well as just black pen and ink like Matt does.

There are endless options out there to combine or just use by themselves.

1 Like

I feel this is great. I love this.

Thank you, Denise, for always being so encouraging!

That is so awesome love the design and the black background

Thank you so much Jan.

Hello Teri, thank you for sharing your terrific artwork.
I really admire your choice of subjects: you draw/paint something interesting every time.
This one is a beautiful night scene and I think it is perfect as it is now in its own way.
But if there could be something to be modified, I think these things might be worth considering:
A. Mute the colours of the boats reflections: when something really bright is on the water and the water is extremely calm, the reflection can be as bright as the real object. But when I draw water reflection, I would mute the colours of the reflections slightly to make it easier to understand what is going on there.
B. Add a bit more stars: I felt that the space between the bottom of the stars and the top of the polls is a bit unnatural. I want more randomness in the sky part, so I would add a bit more stars.
C. Add ripples on the water: this addition really helps to make a water scene understandable. I added some white lines on the water digitally so they look too clearly, but when you do the same thing manually, the ripples would look more faint and natural.

Hope this helps! :cat: :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
IMG_1371
:arrow_down:
reflection muted
stars added
ripples added

Teri,

Wow - amazing work as always. Love how you can get such detail on such a small piece. You have wonderful control. Are you making this one into a card? I wouldn’t mind it showing up in my mailbox! hhaha

2 Likes

This is amazing, Teri. I am still in the contemplation phase of diving into inks. LOL! You show great control of the medium and inspire me to move out of my head and onto the paper with inks!! Your piece is magical!!

Brenda

Brenda,

If you look at the Faber-Castell Pitt ink pens, they have from extra-fine to brush pens. It would be like using a pencil so you might feel more comfortable before using bottled ink. They are a little pricy but work well. I also use microns though on this piece I used detail brushes with the inks.

Give it a try, in the end it is just a piece of paper!!

Teri

June,

Thank you, and yes, I am making it into a card. My caregiver says it is his - haha!

Teri

Hello Maki,

Thank you for taking a look and your suggestions. I agree with all of your suggestions. They would surely enhance the clarity of what is going on. Even if I do not make changes here, I will have these suggestions for future pieces.

Any news on the catalogue?

Teri

| Maki
July 26 |

• | - |

Hello Teri, thank you for sharing your terrific artwork.
I really admire your choice of subjects: you draw/paint something interesting every time.
This one is a beautiful night scene and I think it is perfect as it is now in its own way.
But if there could be something to be modified, I think these things might be worth considering:
A. Mute the colours of the boats reflections: when something really bright is on the water and the water is extremely calm, the reflection can be as bright as the real object. But when I draw water reflection, I would mute the colours of the reflections slightly to make it easier to understand what is going on there.
B. Add a bit more stars: I felt that the space between the bottom of the stars and the top of the polls is a bit unnatural. I want more randomness in the sky part, so I would add a bit more stars.
C. Add ripples on the water: this addition really helps to make a water scene understandable. I added some white lines on the water digitally so they look too clearly, but when you do the same thing manually, the ripples would look more faint and natural.

Hope this helps! :cat::slightly_smiling_face::+1:
IMG_1371
reflection muted
stars added
ripples added

1 Like

Looks like they’re still working on it. :upside_down_face:

I imagine that it must be really frustrating waiting to hear from them. I hope that they finish soon. I too am excited to see the catalogue! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Teri, This is a very nice piece of art. Excellent use of the medium. I do hve one questions regarding the large yellow poles. The on in the front seems like it shouldn’t be reflecting right at the bottom of the boat as the boat’s own reflection seems like it would block some of it. Of course I haven’t seen the source photo so maybe it does look just like you’ve drawn it. :wink: Good work.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I do see what you mean about the poles. I think I interpreted it that the light was coming in from behind and this is why all of the reflections are coming straight down, but I do see that the reflection should start farther down possibly as the boat does block the top part of the reflection. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for opening my eyes a bit to this area. I appreciate the positive input.

Teri

1 Like