Reflections in Broken Glass

Broken glass lense finished

This is the reflection I was asking about in the live lesson regarding reflections.

Painted in Acrylics on an 11 x 14 stretched canvas.

Teri

3 Likes

Did you submit this for critique? I hope it gets critiqued and some more information on perspective when it’s sort of warped like this. I love this painting!

Brenda

Thank you, Brenda, I did submit it about a month ago. Looks like there are a lot of new members submitting artwork, maybe it will get critiqued in the future.

1 Like

I hope so. I started to submit my cat pastel drawing, but decided not to. I’m really looking forward to the new live lesson series. Should be fun.

Brenda

Brenda, I am looking forward to it too. See you there next Wednesday, my favorite evening of the week!

Teri

1 Like

Mine too!!! See you then!

Love this so much. So unique! I can’t wait to draw my chimp. really excited to use my watercolor pencils. I have a mixture of inktense and derwent.

1 Like

I have a large set of pretty cheap watercolor pencils that someone gave me. I’m contemplating a new, higher quality set. :face_with_monocle: There are just too many brands out there.

Brenda

Brenda,

I have a cheap set too, that my daughter gave me and they work well. I purchased a while back a set of Faber-Castell Studio colored pencils and they work nicely, I use them together. not that I am a pro at all. I would like to get their Pitt brand or Derwent, but I have to work with the limited funds I have.

I am a art supply hoarder. See you next Wednesday.

1 Like

I am excited about drawing the Chimp too! I finished my grid, thanks for the help with the math! Now to draw the Chimp. I hope I finish by next Wednesday.

Thanks for the positive input on the painting. The uniqueness is why I chose to give it a try.

See you next Wednesday.

Teri

I, too, am an art-supply junkie! My daughter says I have “a problem!” LOL!

I went to Hobby Lobby today to order the mat for my kitty drawing. While there, I picked up a set of 24 Faber-Castell watercolor pencils. I tried them next to the cheaper ones when I got home, and the difference was indescribable. The Faber-Castell went on smooth, and when activated with water they left no paper showing. The cheaper ones were grainy, but the FC’s were smooth and covered completely. I was even able to do a gradient wash with the FC’s. I may give the small set to my granddaughter and get a bigger set for myself if they work well on this chimp project.

THEN I came home and cleaned my studio space. I found a set of 24 Prismacolor student grade watercolor pencils. I have no idea when I got them, but it was obviously a number of years ago. I will try both the FC’s and the Prismacolor and see which ones I like best. I just wonder what else is buried in the nooks and crannies of this room. LOL!

BTW, Teri, there is a vague possibility I’ll be in the Asheville area in September. A group of friends are planning a reunion in the Biltmore section of town. I still haven’t decided if I’m going to go or not, but if I do I would be delighted to get together with you if you were up for it. It’s still really iffy at this point. I don’t know if I can really afford to go or what else might be going on at that time.

Brenda

Hello Brenda,

I have never had good results with Prismacolor but am not an art snob either (as if I know enough to know what that means!) Are the Prismacolor any cheaper than the FC? I really would like to get the Pitt line of Faber-Castell watercolor pencils. There not that expensive but still a bit out of my range these days.

Please let me know what you think in the comparison.

About Asheville, see what works out and if it happens to be Asheville then depending how I am doing health wise we can see. I have to work it out if it is possible also with my caregiver and yes, it would be wonderful to meet.

Teri

Hello Teri, thank you for letting me know about this piece.
I think this is perfect as it is. I can tell that the buildings are the refection in the mirror, and the scene in the mirror conveys a very clear, high blue sky like I’ve seen in Switzerland before. The orangish-brown of the buildings tell me that it is perhaps a bit before sunset or immediately after the sunrise, either is my favourite time in the day, so I love the atmosphere that this artwork brings about. I also love the precise textures of the ground blocks!

If there could be any points to be improved, I would probably think about changing the shape of the glass. It is too “decent” to be considered “broken glass”. It looks as though somebody had dropped a hand mirror on the road. I don’t know if you used a photo reference for this, but if you did and if you were very royal to the reference photo, that might have been something you needed to reconsider. I mean, I would have used a different photo of broken glass so that it becomes much easier for the viewers to understand what is going on in the scene. For example, I would have used something like this:

This choice would have worked to make your artwork a bit more dramatic and intriguing, which could have helped to stir the viewers’ imagination.

Hope this helps! :laughing: :tada: :cat:

Maki,

Thank you. A friend of mine took the picture and I agree that the title does not go with what I did. Because she took it and I knew would like to see it done I stuck pretty much to the image. The piece on the ground is a mirrored sunglass lense like for snow skiing, and if I remember I uploaded this for someone to see on the forum and since I have Neurological Lyme Disease, I was not thinking straight when I title it.

I do like your suggestions for another piece in the future. I am really not good at titling artwork. My friend and her husband both really liked the painting and asked if I would sell it. I generally just give them away, so will see.

I take to heart all of your recommendations, like on the tiger that I still have not completed but it is in my mental list of projects. Just I have difficult seasons with health that cut into making the progress I would like.

I appreciate so much you taking a look at this and your kind comments. If you can think of a title please let me know!

With gratitude,

Teri

2 Likes

Hi Teri, thank you so much for your reply.
That explains why the glass is so round and clear!
How about “witness on the ground”?
I’m not a native English speaker, so actually it is me who always struggle with English titles for my own works! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Hope this helps, and thank you for your kind words about my feedback comments.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed so that you will have as many days as possible feeling easy and comfortable and that you can have good enough time for your creative journey without being bothered by your conditions! :pray: :cat: :+1:

Maki,

I like the title idea. It will give more clear description for the painting. Also thank you for your kind wishes.

I’m watching for when the catalogue is published.

Teri

1 Like