Snow Dog Live Lesson

Hi everyone,
I thought some of you would have already posted (like you Brenda). I guess I’ll start this one. I did the Lesson 1 drawing when it was live, and then decided that because of my love of detailed watercolors, I needed it to be bigger. So now I’m going to do 11 x 17. I also went to doing a tracing instead of a grid drawing. I guess I must be a rule breaker. Can’t wait for lesson 2.
Terri Robichon

6 Likes

Terri,

A great start, but I would expect nothing less. IT has been a rough couple of weeks, I printed the picture the wrong size, on portrait, I forgot to change the paper position.

Thinking to do it smaller, just due to the lack of energy. I will post my drawing when I get it finished, not sure when that will be.

I always enjoy watching the live lessons, even when I cannot participate in the chat!!

Teri

2 Likes

Hi Terri and Teri. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Terri, your drawing looks great!

I have finished this drawing and erased the grid. I lost parts of my drawing when I erased the grid, not because I erased the marks, because they just rubbed off during the process. Like you, Terri, I’m considering starting this one again with a graphite transfer. I hadn’t yet added the fur details, so at least I haven’t put that much work into it. I, too, may opt for a larger drawing. It’s currently an 11 x 7 picture plane. My Stonehenge paper is 10 x 14, so I can get a bit more out of it. Not a lot, but I plan to max out the paper size, leaving a small border.

The more I’m learning about watercolor, I’ve realized my biggest problem is mixing my paint to the correct consistency for the situation. I did a tree with reflection tonight, and the reflections bled way too much, because it was wet in wet, and I had my paint way to watery. I should have used it directly from my palette. But, as I’m learning, I can fix those things, right!?

Here’s my current drawing. I’ll post the new one when I get it done, too.

1 Like

I use tracing all the time. It works out great.

2 Likes

My final drawing. Ready for tomorrow’s live lesson!!

2 Likes

Ready to go too. I’ll follow the next step when the video is uploaded next week. Even if I was able to watch live I prefer to pause while I’m working through any piece.

1 Like

Hi janed. Happy to see you posting your live lesson progress. I agree with you that I will watch the live lesson, and then do my own painting afterwards, when I can pause and/or back up to see something again. See you in the chat tonight.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hi Brenda -
This is looking good. I’ll see you in the chat tonight.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Looking good, Jane. Like you, I like to pause the video. I’m really wanting to get the most out of this series, so I may watch live and paint when the video is posted. I also want to have fun with it. :grin:

Brenda

1 Like

Terri, I’m looking forward to it. I used my kneaded eraser to clean up my drawing after I posted it. The darker lines in this version were added after I had done the transfer. See you tonight.

Brenda

Nice treat this evening when I finished work, the latest lesson has been uploaded.
The dog’s right eye is a little wonky, I’m really happy with the left one.

4 Likes

janed this is looking good.

1 Like

Wow Janed,

This looks great! I have my drawing done but did not get to painting last week. May watch then go back and paint.

Thanks for posting. Even when I am unable to do the project, I enjoy the progress of seeing everyone else’s. See you tomorrow night!

Teri

2 Likes

Started the watercolor. I wrestled with “fixing my drawing for about an hour. :scream: I watch awhile and paint awhile. I think my By-Tor and snow dog will be a bit different than Matt’s!! LOL!!!

1 Like

Great start!!! I was excited to see the lesson up as well!

Brenda

Hi Brenda. I’m liking what you’ve done. I want to spend a little more time painting before I post my progress again, but my schedule is booked all day Tues and Wednesday morning. Hope to get it posted before the next live lesson. See you then.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I’ve now got a multimedia piece. Had to go back with white gel pen to add the white hairs. I am, however, fairly pleased so far. The eyes are a bit larger than the reference, but I sort of like it!

1 Like

Looks great Brenda, at the end of the day it’s the end result, not the route you took that really matters.

I’ll fix the wonky eye in mine somehow eventually.

1 Like

So true, Jane! Almost every project I do narrowly misses getting tossed into the trash during the process. I’ve learned that almost everything can be saved with creative solutions, like Matt scraping that nose highlight back out in this very lesson. :star_struck:

Brenda

1 Like

Finally caught up. Not unhappy! lol

2 Likes