Pacing myself...?

Hi all…reintroducing myself to the community and to my creative self he he. I joined 2019 with VI Forum but found my day job and day responsibilities were just too much competition. So being 1 of the 9 billion I’ve decided at 56 years old, got me a plan which will help my mental health and develop my creativity,win win. I would like you all to help me with this - I would realy appreciate your input :-). I’d like to complete all of Matt’s VI “drawing courses” in a year…any advice on the time to commit weekly/daily? I’ve got a longer term plan that I’m hoping the VI courses will break me back into a “routine”. Feedback, thoughts, comments appreciated

3 Likes

Yes do all the courses so you learn from them and it will help with confidence to go into your art work. Do not over burden yourself though. Also I found taking notes from the lessons and course helped too.

3 Likes

I would just plan to do one video lesson each day. If you can do more, then do so, but don’t try to go too fast. I think the video lessons are of a reasonable length. After a while, you may find yourself going faster, but don’t try to go fast to start with. You will learn quickly. These courses are wonderful and very helpful. Do it exactly as he teaches it and enjoy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Ginny…your advice is appreciated.

Hello Juxtaposed and welome. That is quite a goal. There is a lot of information that Matt has accumulated over the 13 years he has been doing this and with over 2,000 hours of video out there, your goal wiuld be a full time job to complete in a year. But not saying you can’t do it. If you can do an hour or two per day is probably a good goal to shhot for. If I do more than 2 hours (which I do occasionally on weekends) in one sitting, I find I physically lose focus, literally eyesight focus. But if I break it up, and come back to my artwork later or next day or two, I typically find that there are areas that could be improved on and/or corrected with a clear fresh look. I’m sure you will eventually find your own pace and may even modify your goals. That is perfectly fine. However, I have goals to go through all of the lessons too at some point but have shifted my focus more toward improving my technical skills more than seeing how soon I can go through these. Every project that I complete, shiws me something new I have learned as well as a lot of things that I can improve on. Then challenge is on for the next one. Good luck to you. Its going to be exciting, rewarding, frustrating, disappointing and any other miriad of adjectives that you can think of to describe your feelings as you move through your journey, so enjoy the ride and be ready to adapt, and you will succeed.

1 Like

Hi Lenet…thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my query. Your advice is really appreciated.

1 Like

Hi juxtaposed. Nice to see you here on the forum. I’ve been a member of The Virtual Instructor for almost 2 years, and have been participating in the forum here for less than 6 months. So here are my thoughts. Add one thing to your weekly schedule - watch the Members Minute. It will give you a wide range of information and you will learn a lot. That takes about a half an hour and you can pick any time that is convenient for you.

Regarding your specific goals, I find some lessons go fast, and others take a really long time. I personally do best if I give each lesson the time it needs for me to be happy with my progress and results. So my approach is to set aside blocks of time every week that you can realistically fit into your schedule for your artwork, start where you want to start and just keep working your way through. Wish you well.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Thanks Terri…welcome advice. I’ll update the community as I progress and hopefully I’ll develop the practice, experience and technical skill I’m personally looking for. Thanks again

1 Like