Realistic Pencil Drawing Course - Falcon

I recently completed the Falcon and the car also. I also did the water pouring into the glass but can’t find the photo right now.

3 Likes

Hello @janed , nice work on both.

I’m thinking about doing the Porche as well. I will probably do the pour into glass of water at some point, but after I get some graphite powder. I have so many original works I want to tackle as well, just not sure what will be next. I know the car will take some time.

Lenet

1 Like

Brenda, what a Beautiful falcon!

1 Like

Tenet, this falcon is sooo good!

I did the water glass. I used Bristol smooth paper and faber castell matte pencils.

3 Likes

Hi all my Forum Friends. I just now saw this post for the first time, and you are all inspiring me. As it turns out I just got the Blackwing pencils a week ago so that I could try them out on the Falcon. Upon seeing this string of drawings from all of you (all well-done by the way), I am also adding the water and car to my “Must Do” list of projects. I will post mine here when I get around to it. Happy New Year everyone.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Thats a really nice range of values. I like it.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hi to my Forum Friends. You all inspired me, so now I have completed the pencil drawing of a Falcon also. Here it is.

Terri Robichon

3 Likes

Oh my goodness. Such great falcon job! What size paper and medium did you use?

I looked at the blackwing pencils on amazon. Seems like they’re sold in 12 packs of the same softness/hardness as opposed to a variety such as faber castle, derwent, etc?

@robichon GREAT JOB! Love it.

Hello @Meme5 they do sell sets of 12 of same hardness, but also found a set of 4 which contained the 3 used in the demonstration and the “Natural” which is as little harder than the “Pearl”.

Lenet

1 Like

Thank you @lenetg137, I’ll be looking for those!

My wife bought them a few months on Amazon. $22

Lenet

Hi my dear friend. Thanks for all your continued support. The size is 8 x 8 so that I can use a standard matt and then put it in a standard 12 x 12 frame. I think Matt’s drawing was 6 x 6. The paper I used was Arches 300 lb hot press watercolor paper, and I used the smoothest side. Regarding the pencils, I ordered the 12 pack of Blackwing 602 pencils (which was the middle one), instead of the set of 3, based on the review that Matt did of that pencil (I think it was on YouTube). While that pencil is nicer than most, I still ended up pulling out my tin of Staedtler - Mars Lumograph black pencils (and mainly used the 2B and 8B). I just love how dark you can get with a lot less glare than the Blackwing.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

@robichon thank you for your reply before I went crazy ordering stuff that I don’t really need. I did place an order on amazon for the 3 different blackwing pencils for $18.99 or so. It ended up being $10 ish because I had some points :smiley:. I’m glad you mentioned that you ended up using the staedler mars ones. I own those and God knows what else. I’m becoming an art supply hoarder….help :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I totally know what you mean about the supplies. I have 2 huge sets of watercolor pencils and have never used them for a project. How crazy is that.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we’re not the only ones

1 Like

Halfway through my falcon with the three blackwing pencils (pearl, 602, and matte) so far. I can see what @robichon meant when changing to matte pencils.
My falcon’s eye is not showing the true darkness because the glossiness of the darkest blackwing pencil is too strong on any picture I took.
I love love love the feel of blackwing pencils on the paper though!

2 Likes

Hi Sonia - It looks like you’re a lot further than half way. You are doing a great job. Your observational skills are really strong and it shows in all your artwork.

Terri Robichon