Realistic Pencil Drawing Course - Falcon

I’ve been working on the Realistic Pencil Drawing Course and just finished the Falcon. This course has really improved my patience and my graphite techniques!

Brenda

14 Likes

Fabulous job. Love it.

1 Like

Thank you, Denise! It was challenging, but fun. :grin:

Very detailed :exploding_head: Also the fact that you added a background is impressive. :clap:

1 Like

Very nice. You did a great job.

1 Like

Looks great! A little tedious, I need to work on patience before I tackle one of the bigger (> 1 hr)projects, I’m still at the sketching level and waiting for it to get better and then I’ll work on patience, though that might e doing it backward. The lessons here are are truly amazing in variety and depth.

1 Like

Thanks so much! It was fun to do and be rewarded with a good outcome. :slight_smile:
Brenda

1 Like

Thanks, Ginny! I had to really slow down. It was good for me to do that!

Brenda

This was one of the most tedious lessons I’ve done. I’m about to start the glass of water, so I might be in for a bigger challenge. I watched to tutorials on it, and I can easily spot the areas I’ll be tempted to rush through. You really can’t get too much sketching experience. I started my Virtual Instructor journey with the 25 Days to Better Drawing course around July 1st of this year. I’ve been drawing and creating daily since then, sometimes hours and hours! I look back at those drawings, and I’m still pleased with them. However, I can acknowledge the improvement in each piece I’ve done and be proud! The only thing seem to have unrelenting trouble with is portraiture. Something about mouths is escaping me. I can start with a great sketch, but by the time I get finished with the mouth I’m ready to dump it in the trash. Ugh. I think some people just don’t click with drawing faces, and that might be me no matter how much I want to. I’m not giving up, but I have found many other subjects I’d rather do. :slight_smile: Keep up the good work. Sketching is where it all begins! Don’t be afraid to try other things. You might surprise yourself!

Brenda

1 Like

If I thought this was challenging, I am learning again and again that there’s always *something more challenging. I have started the glass of water from this same course, and it took me hours to get my contour line drawing done. My graphite powder arrives tomorrow, and then I can continue to work. So excited!

2 Likes

And, the glass of water! Not sure how many hours, but quite a few. I loved doing it. :slight_smile: I highly recommend this course.

Brenda

5 Likes

OKAY–the glass itself is STUNNING, then the water is just EPIC, and then there’s the light/shadow cast from said glass/water :scream: @Brenda , you have truly outdone yourself! :clap:

1 Like

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have lost the fear of failure and come to realize that I can draw anything I want. Pretty liberating after being told multiple times in my life that I couldn’t draw or had no idea what I was doing. These courses and this community are breathing new life into me. :heart:

2 Likes

Both are very well done - the glass of water is making thirsty to look at - I want the nice cold clear water :slight_smile:

Beth / OriNebula

1 Like

Thank you, Beth! Now I’m in that in-between spot. What do I do next? :slight_smile:

Looks amazing! What kind of paper and what size, anything fancy? If that’s 8x10 I can’t imagine how long it would take. I looks really wet, especially the shadow!

1 Like

It is done on Stonehenge white. Matt recommended Stonehenge polar white, which I couldn’t find, so I just used the white that I already head. On polar white, the highlights probably would have been a bit brighter and whiter! :slight_smile: The size is 7 x 10, which makes it almost life size. Sometimes I have better luck doing something a little larger. I do plan to have this matted and possibly framed. I might go back in and darken a few of the darker values, but I’m not sure yet. Thanks for your comments!

Brenda

I’ll try to get a better pic of the water tomorrow. It truly is white paper, but I took the photo inside. If it doesn’t rain tomorrow, I’ll get one outside. :slight_smile:

The better photo. :grin:

3 Likes

So I sat down and did the Falcon from the Pencil Drawing Course. I really love those Blackwing pencils. I have been back on that pencil drawing kick again. I feel if I can really get my values down in graphite, my color drwaings will get better.

I’m impressed with the other drawings in this thread. I know they are older, but finally tackled this one.

Lenet

3 Likes