Scissor Tail Fly Catcher in Pastel

Hello artists friends,
Done with Pan Pastels (for the background) and Pitt Pastel Pencils on pastelmat. 11 x 14. Image from Pixabay. My first non-tutorial and I am so happy with how it turned out since I really didn’t know what to do first then next, then last. These cute little birds visit our backyard all spring and they fly like little helicopters :blush:. I enhanced the colors for artistry. CC’s welcome :hugs:.

PJ

16 Likes

That is amazing :heart::heart::heart: wow

1 Like

So pretty, and a very awesome that it’s your first non-tutorial piece, it came out really well! The way you captured the fading off the feather colors WITH texture is stunning! Great job! :clap: :grin:

1 Like

That is wonderful. I truly tried to find something to give you some constructive criticism about, but I couldn’t find anything. It all looks really good. Well done.

1 Like

wow - that is beautiful! You have amazing control with those pastels.

1 Like

Excellent job. I love it

1 Like

Only one comment to be made here: Fantastic results!
Patricia.

1 Like

Thank you all for commenting on my work. It is so encouraging. I would like to get better.

2 Likes

I love it! The bird’s colors really stand out against the soft blended background.

1 Like

One of my favorite birds, and you did a great job! This is stunning!

Brenda

1 Like

Thank you Brenda. It is one of my favorites as well.

WOW! Terrific work, I can almost feel the softness of the feathers.

Thank you so much! Yes its just a baby so the feathers needed to be soft looking. It was really hard for me so I appreciate your feedback!

Looks great! I really like bird images. I have a parrot and haven’t been able to draw an “acceptable” image (to either my standards or his depending). If I have art stuff out, he sits up on his perch and looks at me waiting for me to draw him.

He’s down-voted some I thought were OK, and up voted ones of him that I wasn’t finding good enough. He doesn’t like pencil/grey drawings at all so not interested until colors come out. Yeah, he’s spoiled and I give him too much authority. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway… I really like pictures of birds and getting wings and feathers looking good is really difficult for me, especially with the coloration of iridescent colored areas.

A parrot with too much authority…. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I love birds. Since recently moving to Texas, I’ve seen several birds I’ve never seen in my life (and I’m old). Cardinal, blue bird, and the scissortail. Such fun to take the binoculars out. Would love to see your parrot drawing if he/she ever approves of it. :rofl:

I guess the best analogy I have heard would be “A 4 year old with a beak and talons”.

He doesn’t bite or claw, but he does do the affection withholding trick as well as an angry wife can if looking cute doesn’t work. Normally he’s really affectionate and cuddly. “Normally” being “things are going how he wants them to.” (Near as I can tell, that’s the definition) “Paint a portrait of me. Now. human, there’s no need for poo to accidentally hit your keyboard here…”

I suppose I’m feather whipped and reduced to an emotional support human.