Sunlight in beech forest

19th piece for the planned exhibition. I’m exhausted. :tired_face: :cat:

16 Likes

This is beautiful, Maki. I love the light filtering through the trees. You really captured that effect so well!

Brenda

1 Like

WOW - you are an amazing artist!

1 Like

Hello Maki,

As all of your work Amazing. Your detailing is so spot on. I hope to get to that level of detailing one of these days.

As always inspiring.

Teri

1 Like

Hi Brenda, thank you so much for your lovely comment! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :cat:

Hello Teresa, thank you so much for your kind words! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :cat:

1 Like

Hi Teri, thank you so much for your kind comment! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :cat:
Well I was about to stop this piece here:

but decided to leave this work for a few days and check again to see if there are any changes I might want to make.
Last night I looked at this work again and realised that the lighting did not work so effectively due to rather bright and flat background.
So I added lots of dark areas between trees as well as on the ground.
For your information, it is an A4 size work. I don’t think I could use larger papers because the detailing works you mention would become extraordinary. :rofl:

2 Likes

As usual great job. I love your work.

1 Like

Hello Maki,

I think the changes make a very subtle improvement. I like to do what you did with artwork I am working on. I will stop and keep it where I can see it and as you did then return to add more of something.

By leaving it up in my makeshift studio (a corner of my living room) I can analyze it throughout the day. This helps me to slow down and take more time as Matt is always telling us.

Teri

1 Like

Thank you Denise, for your very kind words! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :cat:

That’s right Teri! I also compare my drawings and the reference photos digitally to evaluate my works. If I honestly feel that my works surpass the reference photos, I decide that the works are complete. If I feel the photos still look better than my drawings, then something is missing.
Thank you so much for your comment! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :cat:

1 Like

Hello @Maki ,
I love the light work you put into this drawing… As usual this is a great drawing. going into an exhibition with this drawing is awesome. However, I would be remised if I didn’t point out what could be a critical point; all of the light seems to be coming from upper right to lower left except the bright highlight on the ground lower center of drawing. Light seems to turn here from right to left. Maybe a stronger shadow coming from tree behind and continuing through that highlight at least partially to slightly change the light direction back to appear more consistent with the rest. Also, the bright highlight on the main tree on left third would probably not be as bright in the center of the tree but only on the right hand third to half of that trunk. I am not Matt or Ashley, but think if you took a look a those two areas, you could add another level of believability to this otherwise excellent drawing. I love it but those two items just popped out to me and I had to try to figure it out in my mind. I hope you know I only point this out so that if you choose to address these items, I think your showing would be that much better. Good luck to you and thank you for sharing.

Lenet

1 Like

Hello Lenet, thank you so much for your very detailed feedback.
I cannot change the original any longer because I’ve already prepared and sold some printed items using this drawing. Next time I work on something similar, I will keep your feedback in my mind. :smiley: :+1: :cat:

Hello Maki, didn’t notice this was an older post. But it did intrigue me enough to try to figure out the main light source. Glad you were able to sell some.

Lenet

1 Like