Trees by a tranquil marsh

Hi friends, here is a soft pastel landscape done recently. I did struggle with the sky and skyholes and will probably have to make some improvements to the tree branches but I am really pleased with the grass and pond. This was done on Art Spectrum Colourfix (sanded) paper. Alcohol wash to start, then soft pastels - mostly Rembrandts with final touches using Sennelier and Schmincke. It was an exercise where I learned quite a bit. It’s not a great result, but every time I finish a piece, I understand more and more about the medium.
Patricia.

6 Likes

Only you know you struggled because it is really amazing!

Thank you so much! Its worth the struggle` :smiley:

This is fantastic, Patricia. I really admire people who can use the darkest dark boldly where it is necessary. Darkest dark is the one that plays an essential role for making your artworks have some depth and a three-dimensional feel. I do love the vague pinkish-grey sky and the dramatic contrast that it makes against the dark trees and the water surface. I love the contrast that happens in the textures of the grass and the tree leaves too; I can read the details of the grass field while the details of the trees are mostly hidden in the silhouette except for some brighter areas. This feels so authentic. So much so that it reminds me of Gustave Courbet’s tree painting I once saw. I would add a cat sitting in a huge lotus leaf floating on the pond, probably in the left corner of the picture plane :cat:
Thank you so much for sharing your marvelous pastel drawing! :+1: :smiley: :tada:

Hi Maki! Thank you so much for your message. I love how you analyzed this. I am really flattered that it reminds you of a famous artist’s painting. It encourages me to continue with my art journey. A cat sitting on a huge lotus leaf could only be added if you were here to do it since your cats always have so much personality and presence - even the smallest ones! Thanks again. :+1: :sparkling_heart: :blush:
Patricia.

1 Like

This is greatly done. I Love it.

Thank you Denise. Pastels are so much fun.
Patricia.

Maki! I just saw one of your pieces critiqued by Matt (I’ve called it the Tree of Wildlife). As always, your art is beautiful and unique. Congrats!
Patricia.

1 Like

Patricia,

This is a beautiful scene. I don’t see any problems anywhere. Sky holes are really difficult, and I think you did a nice job with them.

The pond, reflections, and soft grasses and flowers around the pond is fantastic. The reflection in the water takes you directly into the painting. And you strategically put in on one of the thirds.

I have been watching your progress with the soft pastels and you’re mastery of them is showing. It has paid off for you to stick to one medium as you mentioned. I wish I had such discipline, but my mind, due to Lyme needs to bounce around.

I hope you submit this for a critique.

Teri

Hi Patricia, thank you for letting me know about the critique. I love the title you suggest! The relevant forum topic is " New approach-mimicking Jamie Hewlett" if you’re interested. I look forward to seeing one of your new works critiqued in the near future! :smiley: :tada: :cat:

In all fairness, I could not submit this for critique because it was started at a non-Matt workshop. Still, my upcoming work will be one of my own (a cardinal bird on a snowy day). I am hoping to get it done but I have been struggling with it so it might take me some time. If I find it worthy, I will post it here. Thanks for the encouragement.
Patricia.

Hi Maki, love the WIP photos you posted. And, thank you for the encouragement.
Patricia

1 Like

Hi Patricia - You don’t give yourself nearly enough credit for what a delightful drawing this is. I really like the pink and yellow flowers on the shoreline and the reflection in the water. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Terri Robichon

Thank you so much Terri. As I have said before, we are our own worst critics! :smiley:
Patricia.

1 Like

This looks wonderful to me! I don’t see your struggles!

Thank you! That is very encouraging.
Patricia.

What do YOU not like about it? You could maybe quibble about the composition. Some purists might complain about portrait for a landscape, but that is their problem. You might consider lightening the tops of the dark trees if you feel the balance is off, but you are the person to please. Personally I would bee very happy with this one.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments. All in all, I am happy too (especially since I didn’t particularly like the reference photo). :smiley:

We are usually our own worst critic. That was a really nice landscape painting.

Patricia,

I think that sounds like an intriguing piece of artwork. All pieces take me time, that is not a bad thing, but I think it is good. Contemplating the next stage of what we are working on is helpful, at least for me.

I hope you will post it here when you finish. We are always the most critical of our own artwork.

Teri