First and second soft pastel, clouds are so hard for me

5 Likes

These are both really beautiful! Pastels are one of my favorite mediums, and you’ve handled them really well! It looks like the first one is on charcoal paper, maybe, and the second on Mi-Tientes pastel paper. Am I correct? I love them both, but the top one is my fave! I just adore the colors!

Brenda

1 Like

I appreciate your comment. I really enjoyed working on them. I’m so new at painting/drawing but it’s become such a passion that I am constantly trying and doing things!
They are both from Matt’s lessons. The first one is half sheet of 9x12 bristol paper with acrylic gesso (I was experimenting and applied a couple of layers of the acrylic gesso to the paper) the second one you are absolutely right it’s miteints pastel paper 9x12…

I understand it becoming a passion! It was the same for me. I love the texture of the paper in the top drawing. I learn something new every day here!

Brenda

1 Like

Correction. I think the paper with gesso was actually watercolor paper…

1 Like

These are both excellent. I love them.

Meme5,

Beautiful job on both of them. I am extremely new with pastels and have not worked with them as much as I like.

I may be inspired to continue working on the pastel landscape course now. Thank you! I think I am at the waves.

I to have become more passionate with more mediums since I joined the VI.

Nice job and I like both of them.

Teri

1 Like

Stunning! The clouds look great, and beautiful choices of color in both pieces! The water reflection is also beautiful! :cloud: :smile:

Teri,

I really love soft pastels most of all. I love colored pencils too, though. I’d love to do a portrait of my kids, but can’t decide between soft pastels or colored pencils. My oil painting is next in line for the new materials to try.
Honestly, I feel like a kid in a candy store, not knowing what to try next. It’s all so tempting! :upside_down_face:

Meme5,

I also feel like a kid in a toy store, never was much on candy, unless it was chocolate! LOL!

You could also consider soft pastels and pastel pencils for details. There is an older live lesson where Matt does a portrait of a child in Pastels and Pastel pencils. It is a good series to watch.

I have always painted with Golden open acrylics, so I had a little more time before they dried.

This last live lesson of the French Bulldog with Ashley has me trying more oil painting. It is very enjoyable, especially the way that Ashley taught. I used water mixable oils and went through some of the older oil painting series and really enjoyed them.

Like you said, can’t get enough art supplies. I think I’m an art supply junky at times!

Teri

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I will add some details at some point. I’ve been framing my “art” and hanging it all on a wall. The more I practice, the more the beginning picture’s mistakes jump at me. I’m sure I will go back and fix them. Sigh!

Don’t go back and fix them. Keep moving forward. It will make you feel good down the road to see just how far you’ve come on your artistic journey. Just a thought.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

That is something that we all do as we start on this journey. Hanging art on the wall to see the progress is a good idea. It is the process of learning and improving which the key is as Matt says practice, practice, practice!

Teri

If you have trouble with your clouds, you might try blending with a brush, where colors meet. I use one with pastel pencil, or a piece of leather chamois, depending on how vigorous I want to be.

1 Like

I will definitely try blending with a brush and using pastel pencils, thank you for taking time to reply!

Sonia:

Clouds are often a problem with whatever medium you use. Most people just think they are white, but they are not. Clouds over land often have a faint yellow ochre tint on the bottoms. Clouds over ocean have a blue grey tint on the shady side. Sometimes here on the Oregon coast I see a pinkish tinge about 3 pm. Hope this helps.
Jane

1 Like