Snow and trees in soft pastels

Hello friends! I recently took an intermediate Soft Pastels class at my local art school. Our wonderful teacher challenged us to produce our own version of a well known painter’s snowy scene. She wanted us to learn how to represent snow. It was so much fun. There is a little bit of work to be done in the trees on right side, but I am really thrilled with the snow. I can’t present this to Matt for critique, obviously, but I truly enjoyed doing this.

10 Likes

Absolutely beautiful art piece. :heart_eyes:

Thank you very much.

This is really beautiful, and you did an amazing job of making the snow realistic!

Brenda

This is gorgeous! Love it.

@sterlingsiam. This is very nice. Well done!

Thank you so much Brenda.

Thank you Denise - I will have to try again. It was fun.

Thank you very much. I love soft pastels but they are challenging.

Beautiful! the snow is amazing. You just inspired me to post a drawing I did in my art class where we had to pick a painting from the art gallery and reproduce in color pencils!

Thank you! Yes, please post it. It’s always nice to see other members’ work.

I love this and you did a remarkable job with the snow. Thanks for sharing.

Terri Robichon

Just lovely…I particularly like the use of pink in the work to add tone to the snow reflecting from the sky :slightly_smiling_face:

This is lovely, you’ve certainly done a great job depicting the snow and I love the colours being reflected in it.
Cheers Cathy

Thank you Terri. The trees need work, but I am pleased with the rest.

1 Like

Thank you! Before I took art classes, I would never have imagined putting pink in there!

Thanks Cathy. I can’t wait to try this again.

@sterlingsiam

What a wonderful project. Snow is really challenging, and it looks perfectly natural. Wonderful job! The shadows and highlights look real!

Teri

Thank you so much Teri. I must admit I would never have tackled this on my own (this is from a class I took at a local art school).