Impasto Sky in oil pastels

Well, seems like this is the last of my Spring Break drawings. Tomorrow will be “regular day” drawing lol. Turned out okish. Took me all morning.
None of my mental or paper list items were marked done.
Here’s the impasto sky from lesson of the same name. :smile: fun!!! As soon as I posted it I came back to edit to add that i noticed the left cloud is raining buckets full… I thought I’d fixed it before taking picture but made it solid drapes…

4 Likes

Hi Sonia - I like it. I have 2 sets of oil pastels and so far have only done one thing with them. Someday maybe it will make it on my list, but not for a while. Thanks for sharing. I love to see what you are working on.

Terri Robichon

Hi Sonia! This is beautiful! I love the colors and all the texture. I am a fan of the work produced with oil pastels, but I’m not a fan of using them yet. LOL! Currently, I have immersed myself in learning watercolor. I haven’t posted much recently, and I’ve really missed the camaraderie here. I have been reading posts, but seem to be running out of time every day. I’m working on adjusting my weekdays so there is more time to devote to the forum and art in general!

Keep up the good work! I hope you had a happy spring break. Now it’s a sprint to the end of the school year! :slight_smile:

Brenda

2 Likes

Thank you @Brenda it was really fun drawing this one, however I agree with you, I’m not sure I’ll play with them again in the near future. My brain cannot process “painterly” yet. The field of poppies was a piece of cake compared to this one. I’m glad it was impasto style.

Sonia

1 Like

I think you did a great job! Love it.

1 Like

Thank you for your nice comment @Denise. You’re that friend who is always encouraging others. I don’t think I’ve come across your art? I really hope you consider posting some to share with us.

Sonia

1 Like

@Meme5 Hi Sonia I like this, the colours are lovely but I do know what you mean. It is a completely different medium and something that takes a bit of getting used to. If you’re like me you’re probably used to more realism in your paintings….cheers Cathy

1 Like

Thank you @cmhales7 , you’re absolutely right, i need more practice to learn to appreciate and produce looser paintings. Sennelier oil pastels are so much buttery than the other brands making their application a little more challenging. It’s still super fun, however I end up using soft pastels or graphite in between newer mediums.

Sonia

1 Like

Yes I’m planning on having a go at oil painting soon but before that I’m going to do a graphite drawing of two of my grandchildren. It’s a pity I love all kinds of mediums, it makes it so hard for me to concentrate on just one or two :blush:

2 Likes

Trust me I can definitely relate to using all kinds of mediums. Seems like many of us here do so as well. Although we each have our favorite(s). Mine are graphite, soft pastels, and pastel pencils. I hope to see the finished portrait of your grandchildren in graphite! :blush:

1 Like

Sonia,

LOVE this! What amazing colors and such life to your drawing.

1 Like

@junenez

Thank you. As you might already know. Clouds are hard for me to draw.