Live Lesson - Oil Pastel

This was a challenge! Probably not the best image for first time using oil pastels. Overall I am pleased that I finished it. I got discouraged once I got to the water - if you compare the top of the art to the bottom, I believe it is fairly obvious that I rushed to complete. But I learned ALOT as I always do with these live lessons. Please post yours if you did the series!

6 Likes

June, you did an terrific job, especially if this is your first time to use oil pastels. I didn’t draw this particular piece, but I’m so glad you did and that you shared it. I have worked with oil pastels a couple of times, working on the TVI oil pastel course. However, I find that I don’t like having such little control over how the pastels behave. I believe I will try one or two other pieces, just to be sure I don’t change my mind. Again, I think you did a great job. I thought it was an extremely challenging piece from the beginning, and perhaps that scared me enough to just watch and learn. LOL! Congratulations on finishing it!

Brenda

I didn’t follow that series at all and haven’t seen the source image in memory at all, only glanced once.

That being said, I think it could be improved a lot by breaking up some of the bright blue fills in the lower right side. I understand the rushing to complete, and am often frustrated with oil pastels and trying to do any sort of fine detail. I think something like a palette knife could be used to “slice/scrape” in some grey or brown colors just to break up the blue and maybe add some white turbulence with it, or something interesting floating past.

So Kudos to you for sticking with it and completing the project! It’s not exactly a topic that got my attention and I only saw it at the very beginning and have totally ignored it since. I much prefer the Getting Sketchy episodes which I’ll be in withdrawal from for a month or two or however long the break between seasons is.

You’re “rushed” area was very likely still done about 10x slower than I would have done it. Working on that yet… :slight_smile:

–ETA: Found the source image, there’s just something about that shade/tint of blue used that is a bit garish with the rest of the colors. I had similar complaint/peeve with Ashley’s polar bear, the blue chosen was just so intense it kind of pulled attention away from details.

1 Like

Very well done. Keep up the great work.I love it.

1 Like

June,

Here is my version of the live lesson. You will note that it looks nothing like the original and I worked on a different type and color of paper - colorline by Canson.

I also used Gallery soft pastels with the expressionist. I guess I used my artistic liscense and made it my own. I am not completely happy with it but did have fun working on it with everyone.

Like you June, this is my first attempt with oil pastels, and yes it was a challenge! A lot of room for improvement

2 Likes

June,

I forgot to say that I think you did a great job as this was a very difficult project for us beginners.

My caregiver, whose mother is an artist when he walked by would say boy, that is a challenging image to work from. Maybe he was trying to encourage us beginners!!

Teri

1 Like

I actually loved this oil pastel “painting.” Interestingly, I couldn’t wait for Matt to add that blue reflection down in the corner. However, the joy I experienced from this finished piece might be bolstered by my love of the complementary color scheme based on orange and blue. I’m just a sucker for it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::star_struck: I also don’t mind a bit of color enhancement in this type of landscape. I stood on the edge of Walden Pond in the fall one October, and my breath was taken away by colors such as these, including a reflection of the bright blue sky. It makes me happy to be dazzled by such brilliance. I understand your position though, and that’s what makes every day a real adventure. I love hearing others’ opinions of something that makes me so energized, especially when someone has a completely different view. Thanks so much, @ThatOtherGuy (Troy) for a differing viewpoint. :heart_eyes:

Brenda

1 Like

Just lovely, Teri!!! I’m finally learning what Matt says, my drawing does not have to be an exact replica (or even a close approximation) of the photo reference. You did an amazing job of making this your own, yet following the main idea. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Brenda

1 Like

Thank you Brenda.

It has taken me a while to feel free enough to make something my own or that I do not have to follow a photo reference exactly. Still a little insecure at times, but as you said learning.

Teri

1 Like

I think the main issue I have stems from some imaginary traumatic childhood incident where I was only given a neon cerulean blue crayon and not allowed to use anything else, so now that color gives me flashbacks or something. It was more of a “I don’t like that color” than a “I don’t like what you did with that color” sort of comment.

I hear ya, Troy! Those kinds of experiences have lasting impacts. I love the interactions here on the forum. I feel safe here. My childhood and adulthood art experiences have left some lasting scars, but this space has been welcoming and positive.

Brenda

Thanks Brenda! I am glad that I did this project - even if I am not a fan of oil pastels yet!

Thanks! And yes - that is a bright blue but I decided to go with it and just be happy to finish! This was a challenge for that - that’s for sure - but i always learn so much from the live lessons.

Teri - LOVE IT! Definitely have so much more control with soft pastels - I do enjoy using those. I am going to keep trying with these oil pastels, want to get my money;'s worth. I think you captured that reflection and it is a lovely fall drawing

Yes - always feel safe at the virtual instructors. He has critiqued a couple of my pieces and he is very gentle with his constructive critism . I haven’t submitted anything in a while - have been doing smaller projects and working on my technique

Always love your critiques on mine and others art work. Thanks!

June,

Thank you. Now I am getting ready for the pen and ink live lesson. I really enjoy using ink. I also have done some small projects with colored ink, still learning and will continue working with those as well as the pen and ink. I too plan to keep practicing and learning with the oil pastels. I really enjoyed figuring out how painterly they can be.

Thank you again, I think we both survived the learning experience, as yours turned out beautifully too!

I am glad that you have us started on posting the live lessons and getting sketchy on the forum. I hope more members start to post theirs too!