Struggles with landscapes

I have tried for years, but I just can’t seem to get landscape. It is funny that I can do portraits, but not landscapes. So, I have decided to get serious and take the Pastel Landscape Mastery course here at The Virtual Instructor. Here is a landscape that I did a few days ago, before the course. It is pastel pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes paper.

And here is my first one during the course, which I did this morning. It is soft pastels on velour paper.

I will try to post everything I do with the course in this thread.

9 Likes

I love them both. Fantastic landscapes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful! Awesome that you’re expanding your skillset, please keep us posted! :smile:

1 Like

Wow!!! Youve improved so so much in just a couple days!!! Keep it up!!!:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Okay, here is the second lesson. I did it twice. The first time I did it on Mi-Teintes paper and I just couldn’t get it right. So, this time I did it on sanded paper and I love it!

7 Likes

OH MY GOODNESS—it’s so epic! The sun is literally glowing(as it should be) but you got the shades and lights on the clouds AND you added the water, which makes it even better! :scream: :sun_behind_small_cloud: :ocean:

1 Like

Thanks! I just followed along with Matt during the lesson.

1 Like

This is the third lesson: trees and stuff. LOL!

5 Likes

I like how you the trees/grass are soft but the water feels crisp, all with the same medium! :clap:

Lesson Four: Rocks. This is soft pastels on 8x10 velour paper.

4 Likes

Pretty and nice with the water flow! The softness reminds me of fleece. Keep it up @Ginny ! :smile:

1 Like

Next lesson in the course. Architectural elements. I chose a different reference photo. I thought the one that Matt used was WAY too busy for me. LOL! This is 9x12 pastels pencils on sanded paper.

3 Likes

Yes, velour paper is rather fleecy. Have you ever tried it?

No, I don’t think I have. :sweat_smile: Is it your favorite paper so far? And the new piece is fantastic! So many elements, I noticed the diamond pattern on one of the buildings pretty quickly, it helps give a change of pace, rather than all the buildings being solid. :clap: :smile:

1 Like

Just for an experiment…do one with no blending or smoothing. None.
I like your images so this is just a suggestion for experimentation.

1 Like

I don’t have a favorite paper. They all have their pros and cons.

1 Like

Dale, I have tried so many times to not blend. LOL! I am addicted. I can’t seem to stop. I try and then I sneak in a little blending, a little more, and soon I have the whole thing blended out and I hate it! I will continue to try. Funny you should mention it… :slight_smile:

Back to struggling. I chose my own water photo. Water is hard for me. Skies are hard for me. And what do I do? Choose the most difficult photo I could. LOL! Well, I don’t like my painting, but I don’t have to. I just have to keep going.

3 Likes

Crashing waves, that’s definitely a challenge! I like the piece, and the detail on the lighthouse. Nice work challenging yourself! :smile: :clap:

1 Like

This is not part of the course, but I have been wanting to do this photo for a while. I feel like I am going backwards! LOL! I did NOT blend. Well, a dab or two in the tree trunks, because of some mess-ups, but other than that, no blending. Pastel pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes toned paper, 9x12.

2 Likes