Landscape from Atmospheric perspective

I’m hitting some kind of drawing rut…has anybody felt so enthusiastic about lessons and drawing that it all comes out funky?
So today I did a landscape from Matt’s lesson on Pastel Landscape Mastery -
Atmospheric Perspective. I’ve been dying to use my soft pastels so today I treated myself and used soft pastels in all shapes and forms. There was no tracing on the lesson so just followed along with Matt’s tutorial. It felt great to see my soft pastels all over the place!!! :crazy_face:
Soft Pastels sure make me smile :grin::grin::grin:
The outcome, not so much.
Any comments and opinions are welcome…

2 Likes

You did a great job. Do not down yourself. Everything is an experience and you learn from it. I love this.

1 Like

I think it looks good! I really love the sky!

1 Like

Thank you. I love using soft pastels so much, I can’t say it enough!

Artmama,

First of all, welcome to the forum!! :blush: It’s been a little over a month since I joined and loving it!

Thank you for your comment. I haven’t used my pastels for a while. This landscape helped me get back in the “no rut” zone. More than anything it helped me understand the depth perception even more than before, as well as the darker and lighter values on an actual drawing!

1 Like

Hi Sonia -
You’re being really hard on yourself because you did a great job. I’d never seen this lesson, but then has anyone seen all the lessons that are available here? Because of your post, I went looking for it and Matt’s finished drawing. You really captured it. The only difference I see is that it looks like Matt’s has a little more blending. You should consider this one a win!!! I’m thinking I might want to add this to my list of drawings to try.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I am a loving charcoal drawing student so if there are flaws in your soft pastel drawing I do not see it, I think this looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more of your art. Jim

1 Like

Thank you! That’s what I kind of what I was thinking . Now that you mentioned it, the mountains need some shaping, even if the atmospheric perspective is there. I will leave it as is to remind me if more blending in the future. I hope you try it and post it here!
It was so satisfying to remove the tape! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_3318|230x500

Hi Sonia,
I love the photo of tape removal. I’ll definitely let you know if / when I finish it. I’ve got 10 things to draw/paint before my county fair so I probably won’t get to it until late August or September.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Jim

Thank you, you’re so kind! It was a good lesson and I’m glad I could learn a lot from it.
….Charcoal is a medium I haven’t tried yet, but like Terri said, there’s soooo much in the TVI site, and only so many hours in the day… :hot_face:

Wow! You’re such an accomplished artist. It would be great to have a peek of your art for the fair at some point. :grin:

1 Like

Hi Sonia,

Turned out great! I remember doing this one in the pastel course. It was really fun!

Teri

1 Like

Thanks Sonia - you’re very kind. I’m on Facebook. I post a lot of my drawings and photos there. If you’re a Facebook user just look for . . . Terri Robichon . . . and send me a friend request.
(and anyone here at The Virtual Instructor would be welcome as a facebook friend).

Now a little more about my local county fair. I started participating in 2013, the year after I retired and have been submitting entries every year since then. In 2021 I had 60 entries (50 were 1st place and 10 were 2nd place). Last year (2022) I entered everything possible in my 3 categories for a total of 72 submissions. 60 were 1st place, 6 were second and 6 had no ribbons. I was thrilled to get the BEST of SHOW for those 2 years in a row, as well as the Sweepstakes ribbon for most 1st place. I participate in the CRAFTS division. In that division I submit entries for 3 categories: Amateur Photography, Scrapbooking and Fine Arts. I love it because it encourages me to learn a wide variety of things. Okay, I’m kinda competitive too. So that’s how I spend “me time” every year.

1 Like

Love those very subtle light effects. Talk about sun-kissed!

I meant to reply long ago, sometimes I get lost in TVI site and can’t find my way back. Sadly I don’t do social media. :frowning_with_open_mouth: