Watercolor paper

Hi… I am Sherry and new to this community and art! I recently signed up for the online classes. I started to use watercolors and acrylics but having a difficult time with the paper. I thought I purchased a decent watercolor paper for a beginner. It’s only 130lb. I did the bath thing and let it dry. But when I paint the paper bubbles up. I’m sure it’s the paper quality so, I am looking to purchase a decent paper and confused. Any advise would be so great!

Hi Sherry!

I think the minimum paper weight you should use for watercolor painting is 140 lb. Even then, some of the best papers may still buckle a little depending on how much water you use. If your painting is larger (over 12" by 10") I would suggest 300 lb. paper.

Everyone has a different opinion on the best watercolor paper, but Arches paper is definitely my favorite.

2 Likes

Tell me about it!! ha! I’m learning watercolors myself and you would think the paper would be the easiest! While still learning…yes! i use Arches and at least of 140, but love the 300#! I do prefer to wet the paper by dipping evenly for about 5 minutes and then stapling to a gatorboard.

1 Like