A garden rose in coloured pencil

I wanted to try something more colourful and vibrant as I noticed I’m wearing down the more tonal, muted shades in my set! It’s extraordinary just how many colours roses have in their petals when you look closely :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

@ReetPetite

Beautiful! What size and kind of paper did you use? It must’ve taken more than a couple of hours. I hope to see more of your art.

Sonia

Thank you! It’s multi media A3 (plenty of tooth for the colours to grab) A of layers and burnishing over 10 hours :blush:
I like to get a lot of tone and detail in my work.

So pleased you like it :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

Hello ReetPetite,

The rose is beautifully done. I especially like the iridescent quality you developed on the outer petals. Great job.

Lenet

Thank you so much :blush: The photo reference had so many colours it blew me away…I think I used over 40 colours in this to get the effects and do justice to it. It proved more challenging than I originally thought it would be.

1 Like

Hi Janet. I’m so glad you shared this with us. The range of color is stunning, but what really grabs me is the how dramatic the light source is. You should send this in for a Members Minute critique.

Terri Robichon

Thanks Terri,
I think I know what he might say :joy:He would probably say I could have used darker colours at the petal bases to make it ‘pop’ more and that I could have used the dark coming into light principle having one third significantly darker :upside_down_face:. The bother was that the sun was almost directly overhead …perhaps I could also have chosen a different colour paper, e…g, green, earthy grey etc. Maybe I should submit it to see if I’m right :wink:

Yes, submit it. There is always a surprise in what he says.

Terri Robichon

Done! Let’s see if he takes it up. Thanks!

3 Likes

This is gorgeous. I love it.

Thank you Denise…I really appreciate you taking the time to comment :slightly_smiling_face:

Over 40 colors?! :exploding_head: This is epic–beautiful–shiny!!! And can we talk about the shape and volume of the petals too?! Very nice piece @ReetPetite ! :clap: :smile: :rose:

1 Like

Thank you…I like putting a lot of detail and dimension into my drawings…this one is dedicated to my grand daughter ‘Ella Rose’.

1 Like

I find this stunning. I’m particularly impressed with the iridescence as was previously mentioned. It glows!

Thank you very much…it was quite experimental with the effects :blush:

oh wow this is BEAUTIFUL!!! you got such an incredible effect of light shining all through it, what a seeing eye!

Thank you Ruth….I like to work in a lot of detail on a solo subject like this and pleases you like the light qualities in the piece. It takes a lot of patience :wink:

1 Like

wowza! Almost Iridescent - I love your creative expression!

Thank you Bonnie….I hope my grand daughter loves it when she old enough to know it’s for her! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

COOL - how did you get the black background happening?