Anything bigger than A5 gives me the yips!

When I joined TVI, i bought byself a number of A5 sketch pads.

Now I find my brain scrambles when I look at or consider using a surface bigger than that.

I’ll get over it, I’m sure - but was wondering if anyone had any other silly/funny/traumatic tales of art?

Does your white Polychromos bring out the sweats, or the thought of unboxing those pastels give you the shakes?

Ramb,
I’m hoping you get an answer…

I’m a n00b who feels rather similarly about big pictures. somehow- the size is daunting…

but why is that exactly? idk- but I can vouch for the feeling.

also-this makes me want to try it. (we’re supposed to do stuff that seems difficult,right?)

Yes, doing difficult is the way forward!

I keep telling myself that… but… :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

There is a way of getting over this fear of doing larger pictures. Scenery, for instance, think of it as something you can see on a stage. Break it down into Background, Middle ground, and Foreground. This way your mind set could be that you are dealing with 3 subjects so you only worry about one at a time. I am sure it must be the same for portraits, vases of flowers, anything really.

2 Likes

I would have issues with big pastels, My silly/funny/traumatic is my family says “You have more paint on yourself than on the canvas” I wish I could figure out how to change that bad habit, laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: