Bluebird in Pastels

I have been working on a series of birds in pastel. This one (9x13 soft pastels on velour paper) is one of my latest:

14 Likes

Hello Ginny. Oh my lord! What a beautiful rendition of a bluebird. I love the bird, but I also think you did a great job with the background. It reminds me of a field with grasses bent by the wind. Nice work!

1 Like

This is amazing! I love it

1 Like

I love the way you rendered the background. It really makes the blue on the bird pop.

1 Like

Thank you, all. :smiley:

Very nice Ginny! Straight to the eye! :+1:

1 Like

Beautiful! Amazing work.

1 Like

Beautiful blue bird! What is velour paper?

1 Like

Thank you, Candace. Velour paper is a deeply textured paper which feels a lot like velour fabric or even suede. It has a nap and, so far, I have been unable to fill it with layers of pastel. I tend to apply it heavily and velour paper is the only thing I have found that can take it. It is also forcing me to loosen up and not worry about details. Maybe you can ask Matt about it for the Member’s Minute. :grinning:

Thank you, James. I appreciate it.

Thank you, Logan. :bird::bird::bird::bird::bird:

1 Like

I admire your patience with pastels. I gave up because it was sooooo dusty.

1 Like

Hi Ginny, thanks for the comment on my eagle.
I love your bird. Is it the velvet that makes the feathers look so soft?

1 Like

I think so, Estelle. It takes some time to get used to the softness and “blurriness” of the velour paper when you first start using it. I didn’t like it at first, but it is getting easier to work with. :grinning:

Yes, Candace, I agree. When I first tried soft pastels, I got so disgusted, I actually gave away my pastels and vowed to never use them. But, I bought some more and kept trying, because I love how they look. Now, I really enjoy them. I do not enjoy the dust any more than I used to, but I am learning how to deal with it. The velour paper holds the dust really well.

This is beautiful. He looks like he could fly right out of the picture.

1 Like

Thank you, Lori. :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely stunning! Looks so realistic. I, too, am not familiar with velour?