Cala Lily Red/Yellow with Sunlight from side

To watch some of you cover a subject that Matt covers in his lessons is truly a joy. I thought I would give a photo of this lily a try with pastels and colored pencils. The reference photo was great because it showed so much contrast. I hope you like this. Jack

13 Likes

Pretty @Cojax73 ! Did you draw on black paper or fill it with pastel/pencil? I love the light hitting it, it really does create some nice contrast! Jesus loves you!!!

1 Like

Yes, it was done on black Strathmore paper.
Appreciate your thoughts!

1 Like

Great job, Jack. I love the overall 3-d feel and the transparent feel of the orange part and light yellow part. The whitish lining of the outline of the flower gives very realistic impressions and I really appreciate the beautiful gradation of the green. I may sound very picky, but I especially admire the subtle dirtiness of the flower. Without it, this piece might look a drawing of an artificial flower. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, my friend . Your art is truly amazing and I always get excited to see it! Thank you, thank you!

1 Like

Very nice. I love the light.

1 Like

Hello Jack!
I love the way this flower pops. It has a 3-d quality to it and I love the intensity of the colors against the black background.
Thanks for sharing your art.
Patricia.

1 Like

Patricia,
Your thoughts and comments are always well received. Thank you for your critique. God bless you!
Jqck

This is incredible! How do you use the colored pencil and pastel together?

1 Like

I started with the analogous colors first with Prismacolors pencils to get my outlines. By analogous, I mean this scheme involves three hues, all of which are positioned next to each other on the color wheel. Of course, the beauty of this lily is that had complimentary colors in the flower itself. The paper I used was black, so that made it easier to get these colors to pop. When it came to combining the colors, I used oil pastels and some pan pastels to get the gradients to work and look better. Thanks for your comments and question.

1 Like

That is stunning. Really is :heart:

1 Like

I started with light colored pencils to draw my outlines. Next, I picked the shade of colored pencils that I needed for the gradient colors. I used prismacolor pencils. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I had to “liven up” the colors, so I just went over the top of the groundwork that I laid with the pencils. The pastels did the trick! I also used some pan pastels to start the gradient areas and that worked great. I just kept trading off with stick pastels and pan pastels until it looked right. I used the stick pastels for all of my white highlights. I used black Strathmore paper to get my biggest contrast.
Hope that helps explain it.
Thanks for your input,
Jack

It really does look translucent, amazing work! How big is it? I’ve never thought of combining colored pencil and Pastels but seems to work out good. The white highlights really sell it.

Thank you Ginny… I appreciate your art very much!
Jack

Absolutely stunning - the lily just pops! Beautiful work.

Thank you so much! Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
It helps to start with a very detailed photo reference. I love working with black paper as well. In this case, it was black Strathmore paper.
Jack

1 Like