Colored ink in stippling of a tropical fish

Teri: I hope you are being careful with the chemistry of the pens. I found out the hard way that not all of the use the same inks. There are a jillion or more colors available in gel pens, but they are not rated as permanent. The pigma micron pens were the only ones I found that I could use with alcohol inks for instance. Also none of the pens I found would come smaller than .05 with colored inks. I suspect that the pigments used in the colored pens do not work dependably in the smaller sizes. Oh, the days of Rapidograph pens which used to be extremely fussy about keeping them clean.

| TLP
August 7 |

• | - |

Hello Jane,

On the stippling with this project and the other birds I posted I used microns as well as Faber Castell Indian Ink pens. I purchased them open stock on Blick art materials. They have a few more colors in the microns, and a multitude of colors with the Pitt pens by Faber-Castell, and some in 003, 005, and 01 as well as larger sizes too. I prefer the smaller points.

I agree that the support and interactions with other artists here is helpful in so many ways.

Here is a pointillism experiment I did on a 3 x 5 canvas in acrylics using just red. blue. and yellow. If I do a larger piece, I think I will add some neutrals like brown, black, white. I did this on the fly, no reference just imagination.

Teri

| matriarchJane39
August 7 |

• | - |

The video was lovely, thank you. Wow! What a mare’s nest of opinion on the differences between pointillism and stippling. Most seem to have the same idea I did that pointillism used color and stippling black and white. However, one article said pointillism used oil paint and stippling uses ink. I could probably find one that differentiated them by whether you use your right hand or left. The video did state that Seurat used colors other than primaries. I probably did not use enough “science” in my adventure. I was also using crayola, rather than paint, which produced a more uniform dot than a brush would (at least in my hands).

I have a set of colored Micron pens and a William Morris postcard coloring book. I was not totally happy with the colors. Not enough variation. But… now I think I might try stippling/pointillism and see it that broadens my palette.

Thank you for responding, I find that ideas suddenly germinate after a conversation with another artist.

Jane

| TLP
August 5 |

• | - |

Hello Jane,

I am not an expert, but I believe that pointillism uses only the three primary colors and mixes the desired colors needed as the dots are placed on the paper. I did an experiment of pointillism, and it amazingly works beautifully. I just need to practice more before I actually post something.

Here is something I found on YouTube on this style created by Georges Seurat. The one I was looking for that I saw a few months ago I could not find but this one describes it well.

I believe stippling uses multiple colors or even just black and white. The style of pointillism can be be use in many mediums.

Seurat, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte - YouTube

[

Seurat, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte

](Seurat, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte - YouTube)

IMG_1420 Pointillism.jpg

1 Like