Colored pencil paper

I use Strathmore toned tan, I love this paper, it takes a lot of layers and I use a lot. I like Prismacolor pencils and I put enough layers that it feels like I can move the wax around. I love working on toned paper, but every once in a while, I would like a a really pristine white background. I thought before buying, I would ask if there is an equivalent white paper to the tanned tone paper or what type would come closest? I will appreciate any help with this.

Hi Lori,

Have you tried Stonehenge paper?

2 Likes

No I haven’, but I think I will. Thank you.

I just watched your last members minute. I do have a sheet of white pastelmat, I will try also. Thank you again!

Matt, can colored pencil be used on a stretched canvas? If so, where would you start?

Hi Lilnora,

I would suggest working on papers or perhaps gessoed panel with colored pencils. The canvas texture on a stretched canvas is likely too coarse for quality results.

What if I use gesso on the canvas? Or would it start to crack and fall off. I guess I need to decide if I want to paint it on the canvas or draw it on paper. Thinking about getting it enlarged and divided into 9 equal squares and paint it that way. Then I can trace it on the canvas. This picture will be for my granddaughter. Now to figure out how to add a picture I painted on the forum.

My favorite for colored pencil is the Strathmore Bristol. Blends beautifully. Only thing is need to be careful about erasing the original sketch. Otherwise great to work with.

1 Like

I also love Bristol for colored pencils, but I much prefer vellum over the smooth surface. The vellum has just enough tooth to work with. I find the smooth surface is just too, well, smooth. :smiley:
Brenda

I just saw Matt’s recommendation for Stonehenge paper. I love that paper as well. I had never tried it until a graphite lesson I did, and I will always be sure I have it on hand now.

Brenda

My suggestion would be to ditch the prisma colors and go get some creamy smooth lightfast Derwernts.