Fear, finding the courage to paint!

For almost 40 years, I have been afraid to draw, paint, and sculpt. I was kept busy with family and work so I had an excuse to not follow up on my fine arts degree. But I am now in a wheelchair and have no other real responsibilities to others. It is a perfect time to finally dive into my soul with my art. Why then do I feel so afraid? How do I find the courage to go ahead and enjoy the freedom and time I have? I am hoping that you all may have some thoughts on this matt

er.2023-02-18T05:00:00Z

5 Likes

@altheris13 this piece is beautiful! :star_struck: The reflection of the sunlight in the ripples of water is amazing! Welcome to the forums, fellow artist! Jesus loves you!!!

Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing, and welcome to the forum.

I hope you continue to paint through the fear you’re feeling. That process might reveal the answers you’re seeking. My situation was different. I was told at different stages of my life that I just didn’t have what it takes to be an artist. It took a long time to get the courage to really try, but Matt, Ashley, the artists on this forum, and the wealth of material on this website took away the fear I had. Mine was a fear of failure.

Keep moving forward. :heart_eyes:

Brenda

1 Like

So beautiful. It inspires me to experiment with single colour and tone creating beautiful light effects like you’ve achieved here.
I recently did an on-line course through the platform www.dailyom.com you might find interesting

‘Overcoming Creative Anxiety’ By Eric Maisel

Also A book title 'The four agreements ’ by Don Miguel Ruiz which I read some years ago , also helped me change my perspectives to overcome some similar issues.
Now I feel free to practice my art like a daily meditation and let go of many of the critical or judgemental thoughts that might come up.
I really look forward to seeing more of your work.
Sue

@altheris13 Welcome! Thank you for sharing! That was one step towards conquering your fear. :two_hearts: Dont be hessitant to create. If people judge, then they judge. You cant really do anything about that but here, that wont happen. We all love to see eachothers art. And once you start delving in and growing your skills and comfort in creating, whatever media you may be using, it will feel more natural! We’re all with you!
I love the piece you’ve made btw! Can’t wait to see more! Keep it up!:yellow_heart: