Field of Tulips and Wildflowers

16"×20" oil on canvas painting. This was painted with an indirect method in which I did an under painting with radient pastel colors, covered painting with a dark glaze and subtracted the drawing elements, exposing the radiant colors below, then finished with a layer of opaque paint finishing the midtones and highlights.

Lenet

2 Likes

Hi Lenet - wow, now you have 2 16x20 oil paintings. Quite ambitious for starting out. I can see why the colors are called vibrant. What do you think about the two approaches to oil painting that you’ve done so far? And what’s next?

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hello Terri @robichon , this a busy lesson week. I am working currently on a “monster portrait”. I also have A charcoal still life and a charcoal portrait to do. Plus I am have way through the “song lyric” sketch book drawing (doing it in color pencil and Pen and Ink.

You may be asking what is the monster portrait. In this painting, we get 8 brushstrokes and a 3 color glaze to block-in a portrait. Then you subtract the portrait features. You can now imagine why it is called a monster portrait. Step two is to lay-in broad brushstrokes layering large to small to create the form. Also we will use complementary colors adjacent to each other to create optical color mixing. Third stage is final details and highlights.

Lenet

1 Like

Is this an online class? And how many weeks is it ? So you’re doing oil painting and charcoal drawings?

Terri

Terri @robichon. I am taking an actual online course. It is a 52 week course. It is broken into 4 parts.
Part 1 - Drawing and oil painting techniques.
Part 2 - Mixed media including, acrylics, collage, and other techniques. This section focuses on developing you own style.
Part 3 - Develop your own original portfolio of 30 original pieces.
Part 4 - Marketing, developing your website, learning how to get your art business going, how to sell online and to collectors, or getting into galleries, etc.

Program is designed to be completed in 1 year, with about 20 hours per week, but can be done at your own pace.

You can private message (Messenger) me if you want more information. I don’t want to advertise a different platform here.

I am getting a lot of valuable information about painting. However, the drawing information gained here is more detailed.

Lenet

1 Like

Excellent job! Love it.

1 Like

Thank you very much, @Denise .