Oil painting - Field of Red Flowers

Hi Everyone - I find it helpful to post what I’m working on here, because it keeps me motivated to finish it.

I have this really great hobby room that I share with my husband. He builds scale model ships and airplanes while I work on artwork. Anyway, when I’m following a Virtual Instructor lesson, I end up working at my computer area instead. I have a large monitor where I put up the reference photo, Matt’s finished painting, and the lesson (which is often “paused” as I work). This lesson is only about 1/2 hour long, and I find I am really missing the more in-depth live lessons.

I primed some 300 lb. watercolor paper with the orange, before I saw that Matt had his surface primed with white. So far, so good but I’m wondering how long it will take to dry. Does anyone know how to speed up the drying process?

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Beautiful as always! Call me crazy, but over here is humid, so when I want the acrylic gesso or my tennis shoes to dry in a flash, i stick them in my my car in the driveway. The shoes dry very fast on top of the dashboard when the sun is hitting it -even if sun is not directly hitting them. The gessoed paper, i lay flat on the seat not directly under the sun . It really works…well for gesso and shoes. :grimacing:

Hi Sonia -

When I get done painting it, I’ll give it a try. What can it hurt?

Terri Robichon

1 Like

It’s looking good! What a great set up. looks like you have loads of room!

1 Like

Terri,

What a great set up you have. I remember seeing this lesson. Like you I too prefer the work along lessons like the ones Matt is starting now on youtube.

It is already looking great and look forward to see the finished project.

Teri

1 Like

This is great. Matt uses a hairdryer to dry up certain paints.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve used the hairdryer for watercolors, but wondering about the oil since it’s a lot thicker. Probably shouldn’t hurt it.

Doing artwork around my computer has a limited amount of table space but the big monitor is really helpful. We built an addition on our house for the separate shared hobby room. I’m spoiled with how perfect that space had been, and we can leave our projects sitting out.

1 Like

Good for you!! I cannot leave things out, so I have a system to put things up and bring them out as I use them. My kitchen sideboard has become my studio, I mean, my art supplies’ storage.

Artists and other crafters need creative thinking to get the most out of any space they have. Sounds like you’re doing that. Thankfully my husband also loves hobbies (building large scale model ships and planes). The space we devote to hobbies has gradually increased over the years as we’ve grown our careers, and then moved into retirement. I worked really hard for years, so that I can play really hard now. :slight_smile: It’s all about quality of life.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I got a few more hours to work on the painting this afternoon. I’m not use to working so loose, with random strokes, but I think I’m liking it so far.

Terri Robichon

1 Like