Water Mixable Oil Painting - Bleeding Hearts

I’ve been working on this for a couple weeks and I still find oil and acrylic painting to be a real struggle. It’s so “thick” (compared to watercolors - my favorite) and I haven’t been able to figure out when to use more medium or more water. It just doesn’t flow very well and I haven’t gotten the hang for blending. Anyway, I’m calling this one done. Wonder how long it will take to dry?

This is 8 x 10 and is painted on 300 lb hot press watercolor paper that is primed with acrylic paint. These are very delicate light pink flowers, but for the sake of the artwork I really pushed the darks even darker than the reference photo to have a better range of values. This was painted from my own photo. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Hello Terri @robichon , these are beautiful. Sorry with my experience in acrylics and oils less than yours, i dont know what I could add. Nice job.

Lenet

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for these since I spotted them in the background of one of your posts. I knew they’d be a beautiful painting. And as always, they’re beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks Lenet. I appreciate your friendship and kind words.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thanks Sonia. I like it a lot better today than yesterday. I kept seeing things that needed work, and then as I tried to fix it, the painting looked worse. I’d think it would take one more day. Not the case. And then I was sure one more day would do it. Again not the case. I just let these take as long as needed and finally it was finished (meaning I no longer wanted to risk goofing it up). Now I have to finish the oil painting of my cat. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

There’s no doubt that your cat will be wonderful too. You do such awesome job with oil paints, just keep painting and sharing. You inspire me and others, to try challenging things hoping they turn out one hundredth as good as yours.

1 Like

Sonia. Your comments warm my heart. I so enjoy sharing friendship and artwork together. Please say hi to your daughter for me.

Terri

1 Like

Gorgeous work. Can’t wait to see what else you have to share.

1 Like