Graphite pencil and white pencil - Portrait Rifleman

Evening all!

Just finished my portrait. Really pleased with the likeness. On to the next one! :grinning:

6 Likes

Stunning details. And the foreshortening of the right side of his face looks to be accurate.

Hi James,
Beautiful work! I am curious, did you end up using just the 5H or did you incorporate other softer/harder graphites?
Thank you for sharing :wink:
Debbie

1 Like

Thanks Debbie. I used a B in a few places and a 2B for the darkest values in the end, but stuck to it minimally and very lightly. It was a good experiment and I think it has meant that the portrait didnā€™t come out too dark. I felt it held me back with the darker pencils right up until the end and prevented a tendency I have had in the past to use the darker pencils too soon.

Thanks for your feedback! :grinning:
James

Excellently done. I am also working on using only one pencil though mine is a 3B

1 Like

I donā€™t know how I missed this, but now I see it and it is amazing. James, you did a wonderful job. It is highly realistic without being obnoxiously photographic, if you know what I mean. LOL! I love to see the strokes. Beautiful artwork. And, I love the beard! :laughing:

1 Like

I loved the finished result. You did an amazing job on the beard and I really like the pose.

1 Like

Thankyou Frankie! It was a good challenge and I think it has worked for me to control the darkness a bit. :grinning:

Thanks Ginny! I know exactly what you mean. Hyperrealistic isnā€™t my style either. Glad you like it! :grinning:

Thank you! The pose is your typical standing to attention with eyes front, when that person slightly to the left in front of you catches your attention and you canā€™t resist a quick glance with just the eyes! :grinning: Perhaps the soldier has noticed a young lass he hopes to meet after the parade! :wink: Or perhaps the enemy has appeared on the horizon? :scream:

1 Like

You are very right about the pose and look. @jamescdeering

That particular glance isnt limited to historical soldiers either, I have taken the liberty of following with my eyes more than once, and donā€™t know anyone who hasnā€™t.

Hard to resist interesting goings on on paradeā€¦ especially if theyā€™re pretty :wink:

1 Like

Fantastic work. I do hope my portraits raise to this standard one day. At the moment they are pretty basic. You are such a marvelous example!

1 Like