Portrait in graphite - partial

So here is a portrait of a gentleman I am doing as a favour.
Working on deepening the shading etc. There is something off I’m not quite sure what it is… any thoughts would be great!

3 Likes

I think you did a good job on it! Maybe once you get all of the values in, you’ll figure out what you think is off?

I hope so… I just hate the feeling of being so far involved and suddenly feeling a bit lost.

I felt that way with several drawings lately and just kept going. Some worked out and some didn’t but for me it’s really all of a learning experience at this point!

Update from today’s work.
Feeling better about it.
Although my camera doesnt quite capture the contrast well… you’ll get the idea

2 Likes

Hi Derek! I think you have done a great job up to now. I agree with Rain Frances. You probably need to continue pushing the values (finishing the shirt, pushing the values in the hat will help). I think you have captured the expression of the face really well. I would add a little bit of light value in the right eye (it has too much white right now). Keep at it. I feel you are on the right track. Don’t be afraid to push those values. I only did one portrait up to now (Apache posted on the forum). Believe me, I revisited the values several times and I probably could have pushed them a little more - that portrait was done on a toned paper. Keep it up. I like the way it’s going. :wink:

1 Like

It’s looking good. I have to say I LOVE the zipper!!

Wow! What a difference already. I know what you mean about trying to capture the contrast. I had the same issue with my portrait. Great job!

Thank you both for the comments and suggestions…
Sterling, you’re right about the eye value. I am still learning how to balance light surrounded by dark vs light surrounded by light. Interesting trying fo get the same look of value even if it isnt actually the same.

And lol rain… stop this…the zipper was a throwaway add in. But I appreciate the compliment :wink:

I’ll do my best to take a proper photo of the finished portrait.

1 Like

Hey, I can’t help liking the zipper lol! I really do though! :slight_smile:

So nice painting. I love the detailing on the cap :+1: :ok_hand:

I think this is fantastically done. Love it.

I think you’re on the right track…but I do see the left side…the left eye should be foreshortened? and the left eye brow smaller? …yes, more value and shading…sighs…I need to get started on one of my great grand son…lol…

Very fair points.

I’ve kept thinking something is a bit off with that left eye…

Thank you all for the kind words.

1 Like

Hi! I am new here and only just started the " 25 Days to Better Drawing"; so I will soon be putting some of my work up for comments. And please do! When I looked at this drawing in its first stage the first thing that struck me was the face was a little too broad. In the photo’ the face looks a little thinner. If a fraction, about 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch was taken off this side of the face it may correct the eye problem as well.