Matte Graphite portrait

My friend wanted to give her husband a portrait of grandchildren for Christmas. This is what I came up with. They were very happy with it. I added the background last, so the values changed tremendously. I darkened some areas, just enough to not skew the subjects’ features. The portrait has been delivered and framed, but still would love to hear critiques!

3 Likes

Meme5 - OH MY!!! Your friend and her husband are very lucky people. This is absolutely beautiful. I bet they had tears of joy when they received this. I have no suggestions. The facial features are executed perfectly, including all of the eyes, noses and mouths. The texture of the little boy’s hair is so realistic. The chins and necks are spot on. I could look at this one for hours and would have a smile on my face the entire time.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

@robichon ,
Thank you very much for your supportive comment. It means so much to me. It was a difficult process to my ADD brain, Trying to stay focused on one child at a time

1 Like

Hello @Meme5 ,
I agree with everything Terri said. Someone got a really special gift. You did an excellent job showing a consistent light source direction across the 3 girls. My only suggestion would be to darken the value of the girl on picture left a little. Maybe the reference had a stong light source from that side and was washed out a little, but if that girl had just a little more value there would have been a more balanced transition across the portrait. The balance between the other two is spot on as far as balance goes between the two. Just seems a little like there was a skipped level in the transition between the first two with nothing to indicate why light pattern changed. I know it is a minor thing and does not take away from your excellent work. The attempt to show a strong light source from the left was still communicated well, in any case.

Great job!

Lenet

1 Like

@lenetg137 ,
I agree about the little blonde girl’s values, perhaps the values overall. I wish I had taken a picture before adding the darker background. The values were a lot better balanced.
Note taken, though. Your comment is very much appreciated.
I try to ask my husband as I make changes, he doesn’t notice the changes, nor understand what where I’m pointing at as I draw. Seems to be the norm when asking opinions to people who are not into drawing or painting.

Hi Meme5 -
You are so right about “husbands” not being able to see and understand changes as they are made in artwork.

Terri Robichon

This is fantastic!. Great job.

1 Like