Head Study in Oils

I am in the process of getting a feel for oil paints. So many people say that oil paints are so easy and forgiving. I just seem to make a gloppy mess with them. I am hoping that just painting as much and as often as possible will help me learn how to deal with it. So, here is a study. Florent Farges said to do monochromatic studies while getting used to oils, so I am trying. I must say that it is helping quite a bit with the values. If anyone saw my “oil portrait in progress”, you will see what I mean. LOL! Also, something that I did with this one that I did not do with that first one was that I drew the picture on the canvas with a pencil before putting paint on. That first one was “drawn” with paint. Not a good idea for my first…

5 Likes

A very powerful and expressive composition. I specially like the monochrome finish with a complimentary background.

1 Like

Very nice. Unique perspective. When painting in acrylics - would monochromatic also be the preferred method for building the painting?

1 Like

Thank you. I just couldn’t leave it all green… LOL!

Well, in this case the monochromatic was to help me focus on values while getting familiar with the feel and behavior of the paints. Underpaintings, which are used with many different mediums, are also monochromatic for the purpose of getting the values correct. I believe that value is more important than color or, at least, color is useless without proper values. So, doing monochromatic studies will only help us improve. That is only my opinion.

This is wonderful! I have a box of oils that I’ve yet open due to intimidation! I resolve to take them out in 2020!

1 Like

This is very lovely. Drawing first is the best way, I think.

1 Like

This is very good portrait. The monochrome studies can be so beautifully done! I love the choice of colours. This so unusual for monochrome and so compelling!

1 Like

Hi Ginny! …I bet by now you have practiced a lot! I have not delved into
oils and was looking at a couple of gentlemen on Youtube…(oops)
Well, one, was basically repeating what Matt says…shapes, values, shadows, hues, etc…
I was told once that the front of the face view is the easiest and here you go for the first time and do a great first on this view…gotta say great!
Then, secondly…I have heard Matt do under paintings and this is what this looks like. So, you should be great when you start to mix and layer…
I have yet to buy some good paints, but with my impatience with the layering of watercolors, i think i will start to, so to do both and take breaks.
Thanks for sharing as you laugh at your beginnings and I also share my frustrations with sighs and laughter lol :slight_smile:
PS i like it…reminds me of “The Green Halk” series haha

Looks really well formed Ginny! :grinning: Florent Farges is awesome. His you tube tutorials are so informative.

Glad you have taken the leap to give oils a go! Don’t look back! :grinning::+1:

1 Like