Hooked on Scratchboard - new project

The current live lesson was the first time I touched scratchboard and I’m hooked. I worked ahead and finished the bee (sorry - I couldn’t help myself).

I’ve been on the lookout for a new reference photo and found one. My photography friend Wayne Perala gave me permission to use his photo of a female Pileated Woodpecker in flight as my reference photo. It was in front of a huge tree so the background in the original photo was almost totally black and very dramatic. My project is 8x10. Here is what I finished after working on it most of the day. I’m planning to add some color to this one by using the Ampersand ink.

One of the reasons I selected this subject matter is that I’m lucky enough to have a pair of Pileated that visit my feeders, usually a few times every day. They are very timid so seeing them often is a real treat.

Another thing I wanted to share is that I did the Live Lesson of the bee with Ampersand Scratchbord Tools that I purchased at Blick. When I ordered the new 8x10 scratchboard for this project from Amazon I also purchased the tools that Matt is currently using. I like the special glove and the pouch that holds the tools, but truth be told, the actual scratching tools are far inferior to the ones I already had that are made by Ampersand. Just thought you’d like to know, if you are thinking of making a purchase.

Terri Robichon

3 Likes

Terri,
I will be keeping an eye for the finished picture and see what all you will accomplish with it. I remember the post about the colored bird on scratch board. I’m curious if that’s a possibility on this piece of yours (add color in ink)?
Quick question, does the scratching require applying more pressure on the board than blending in color pencils? I can’t think of a better analogy. I am old and decrepit so when I sharpen my pastel pencils with the box cutter blade thingy, my fingers tend to cramp (which require more pressure than blending with color pencils)
The scratchboard is so tempting, that I’ve had it in my cart on amazon more than twice lol, but I refuse to commit to getting it if I it makes me get old age flare ups.

Sonia

Hi Sonia. I think the amount of pressure mostly depends on the tools you use. Ampersand tools are much easier to use because they are sharper and I’ve been learning to go with minimal pressure to start with, and gradually build up layers of scratching where it needs to be lighter. If you push too hard trying to get to white with one pass of the tool, you may make a depression in the otherwise smooth surface which is not ideal. I did this in a couple spots on my bee project. I don’t think this will make your hands or wrist sore.

This will not be as wonderful as that Sandhills crane I posted because I’m just beginning to figure it out and my skills are not that refined yet. Maybe in the future I could hope to be that good.

There is just a little color on the head of the pileated woodpecker , so I thought this is a good place to try the color, which will be the Ampersand brand ink. That’s what I recommend you use for the color. If you look at the page for the ampersand scratchboard ink at Blick there is a short video about using the tools and ink. I also watched a longer Ampersand video on YouTube that was interesting.

I’m enjoying the challenge of something that is totally new to me.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Terri, @robichon I can’t wait to see this one finished! Looking good.

Lenet

1 Like

Terri w2r’s,

A great subject for a scratchboard project. Will you add color too?

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Teri w1r

Hi Teri. Definitely planning to use ink at least on the head ( red and yellow). The rest of the bird is pretty much black and white. May use some subtle brown tones on the wing.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Terri,

Wow! Blown away! This is going to be beautiful.

June

1 Like

Wow! This is fabulous! Very well done.

Terri,

I can’t wait to see it finished! I think colored inks are so fun to work with and are so versatile. Did you say that you are using a ceramic knife to scratch with? I could use a ceramic knife, what knife are you using?

Teri

1 Like

Wow! You have just started and I already see how much detail you were able to put in this one. Love this. I can’t wait to see it finished.
Patricia.

1 Like

Hi Teri (with one 1) @TLP I used a ceramic knife for some of the bee for the Live Lesson, but I’m liking smaller tools better. The product you’re asking about is by SLICE and is a pen cutter with a ceramic blade that I bought for the colored pencil live lesson that Matt did of a spider on film. If you go to DickBlick.com and do a search for Slice, you will find several ceramic knife options.

Terri (with 2r’s) Robichon

Hi everyone. I’ve worked on it for another day. I have decided I like equally the scratchboard tools from Blick (Ampersand brand), and Amazon (the ones Matt is using for the Bee Live Lesson).

I’m doing a lot of trial and error. Found that if I use the wood tool (from Amazon kit) and keep it on the side, not the tip, I can get a mid-tone shading on the bird’s wing. See photos. After the wing, I moved on to the bird’s body.

I think I will be starting with the Ampersand ink next time. I hope to get some shading on the white part of the wing and a little brown tone glaze on the wing and body. The top of the head is red and there is a touch of yellow on the face. I’m feeling pretty good about my progress so far.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Here is the reference photo. (Photo credit to my friend Wayne Perala who gave me permission to use this.) I lightened the copy I’m working from to get a little more of the body detail which is hard to see in the original.

Look above for what I worked on today.

Terri Robichon

Terri @robichon , you have picked up on this quickly. Amazing work! I love birds, alive, in photos, drawings, paintings, etc. They are so simple yet so complex at the same time.

Lenet

1 Like

Thanks Lenet. I’m really having fun, but can also see how much of a learning curve there is to achieve a spectacular drawing. As always practice has a lot to do with it.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Here is the finished 8 x 10 scratchboard image of a Female Pileated Woodpecker, using Ampersand colored inks.

Terri Robichon

4 Likes

It’s incredible, how well you control the medium already. I love it!

1 Like

Thanks Sonia. I appreciate you keeping an eye on me. Keeps me motivated.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Great work Terri @robichon . I love the color added. I’ve heard you can add color to them, but how is that done exatly? Is it like a watercolor wash or different process?

Lenet

Hi Lenet @lenetg137 It is a lot like using watercolors, but Ampersand brand inks are suggested. I recommend you go to DickBlick.com and search Ampersand scratchboard ink. When there you can find a short video showing exactly how they apply the ink. That will better explain the process. I found it helpful.

Terri Robichon

1 Like