How are your waves (gettin sketchy 2/15)

This certainly was a challenge! I can’t say I love what I did but had fun trying! Hope to see how successful others were.

6 Likes

So pretty! Good job! I especially love the subtle lavander it adds so much to the piece!

1 Like

I haven’t started, but I did cut a piece of paper to size. :smiley: Yours looks beautiful. Good job!

Thanks - I’m going to do again. Can learn alot from this one. Can’t wait to see yours!

1 Like

Thanks! Well - it was me following Matt - I’d like to think i would have lavender on my own but I’m not sure!

I hope to get mine started today. :crossed_fingers: you’re absolutely right about learning a lot from this one!!

I love this. I think you did a great job.

1 Like

Well!!! I did a practice piece on scrap Ingres paper. I tried to do it with Pan Pastels, and it is now in the garbage can next to my desk. LOL!! I kept smoothing out the bottom layers and wiping out highlights and got pretty frustrated at the end, which wasn’t really the end, because I stopped before finishing it. :slight_smile: Tomorrow, I will use my Rembrandt soft pastels and the properly cut paper and see what happens. It is a wonderful exercise not only in value and texture and form, but so much more. Patience for one. I will eventually have something to post, hopefully. LOL!!

Brenda

Brenda,
You made me laugh this morning! I don’t know if you did the bee with Ashley (with gauche and orange paper) gettin sketchy? I had a similar experience and I crumbled up and threw mine away.

Can’t wait to see your second attempt!

I always seem to want to trash my work until I get past a certain point. There was no getting to that point with the wave! It was a disaster from the point I began applying more layers. It WAS great practice with the pan pastels though. I think a combo of stick soft pastels and pan pastels might be the answer.

I didn’t do the bee with Ashley, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching his process. Gouache is a medium I’ve never tried. I think his choice of orange paper was brilliant!

Have a great day, June. Have you started your marketing plan for your Air Junes? :smiley:

Brenda

I’m sure it will look amazing!

Hmmm…maybe I should market my Air June’s to support my art habit!

1 Like

Here it is! It’s certainly NOT the outcome that I pictured in my mind!! However, it was great practice, and I feel like I pretty much got the colors if not the values! I had the most trouble with wiping out my lower layers again, but the very most trouble with the spray and seafoam.

2 Likes

Wow - that is impressive! Especially the lower right - such movement! I found this such a fun gettin sketchy and I will do again

Here’s my attempt done digitally in Rebelle.

3 Likes

Oh wow! Love that! I have just started playing around with procreate. Maybe I shall try this digitally! No messy fingers from the pastels then

1 Like

@junenez One of the reasons I prefer to work digitally is that there is not much setup or cleanup! lol

1 Like

That’s awesome! I’ve never tried digital drawing or painting. As a graphic designer, web designer, and photographer I did lots of vector images and photo manipulation, but that’s a whole different arena from what you’ve done here. I love it!

Brenda

1 Like

Regarding setup and clean-up, it can be messy, especially with soft pastels. They also dry my hands out terribly! I’m finding I don’t have that problem with Pan Pastels.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing all the different ways the subject is interpreted.

Brenda

1 Like

June, my granddaughter loves Procreate! And Posca Markers. I think I’ve instilled the art-supply bug nicely. :crazy_face:

Brenda

that’s a great point! I am hoping to learn so I can do a traveling “sketchbook” on my ipad.