Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi! I joined about 2 weeks ago. I took art in high school and college, but that was decades ago. I have done some things off an on over the years, but not a lot. My confidence in my drawing abilities is non-existent.

I’ve been enjoying the YouTube videos Matt has posted. So, I joined!

I’m working through the “25 Days to Better Drawings”. Wish I had resources like this 50 years ago. (Or teachers like this.)

2 Likes

Hi @connie56! Consider your drawing confidence back in business! :grin: This community is awesome and we always learn and lift each other up! Can’t wait to see your work! Jesus loves you!!!

2 Likes

Hi Connie. Welcome in the forum. You won’t regret taking this membership. It is indeed a confidence builder and great instruction. 25 Days to Better drawings will have you on your way.
Patricia.

2 Likes

Hallo all,
I’m happy that I can be now a student on this great online school, my Name is Conny, I’m from Germany and I want to become an artist. This wish has grown In the last two years, coloring was my hobby through the lockdowns and the whole pandemic. But the day came and it wasn’t not enough anymore, I want to draw more by myself. I did many drawings already and I’m happy with my work, but I want to know more.
Hope we will have a great time together

3 Likes

Hello @ConnySiobhan ! We’re all artists of different skill sets here, and it’s so awesome to welcome you to our community! Hope to see your work soon! Jesus loves you!!!

1 Like

Hello Conny. My name is Teri and am the United States. I felt the same way you did. I started drawing and painting when I became disabled in 2013.

Like you all my life I loved coloring in coloring books and doodling. When I wanted to see if there was any way to improve my artwork I started to look online, on YouTube I found “Getting Sketchy”.

I learned so much from Matt and Ashley that I finally joined the Virtual Instructor just a year ago. You will see as you go on your learning journey how Matt reinforces the skills that we need but also allows us to create our own unique styles with no pressure.

If you have not looked, the Critiques are a wonderful source of information, I have watched almost all of them and some more than once. And the live lessons we walk step by step as Matt or Ashley teach in different mediums. Also, it is just a lot of fun if you join into the Chat Box. From there when going through the courses or creating my own artwork I could apply this wealth of knowledge to my own artwork.

I also look forward to seeing some of your artwork. I have posted some pieces and received wonderful help. Again, Welcome to the Virtual Instructor community and membership.

Teri

2 Likes

Hi Teri,
Thank you for this encouraging welcome, actually I do not write in forums, because I think my English isn’t good enough.
I saw some of the free videos on YouTube before I made the decision to become a member. I tried some things out already, but I have not found a good way for myself to show pictures here, only to link it to my Instagram.
To look at all this great work which people have done here already I will do bit by not, because I have not so much time to go through all this in one day. But I know already this is the right place for me to learn what I want to know.
Have a great weekend and thanks again for this lovely welcome.
Conny

Hi,
Thank you for your welcome, yes I know that Jesus loves me, I’ve got a great talent and I want to use it to show Him how much I appreciate it.
Thanks again and have a wonderful and blessed weekend
Conny

1 Like

I think that your English is great, and also to upload photos to the forum you click on the button that looks kind of like :rice_scene: or :framed_picture: and select the image! Hope that helps!

1 Like

Connie,

I agree with TheMustardSeedLife, your English is really good. I was going to make the suggestion that you can upload pictures whereby choosing, I believe the 7th icon across the top of the space where you write your messages.

The space looks similar to what TheMustardSeedLife showed you. I look forward to seeing more of your artwork.

I hope this helps reinforce the other suggestion. Yes, Jesus does love us, and I can’t imagine this life without Him in it.

You also have a good weekend.

Teri

1 Like

Hello everyone! My name is Valerie. I have always loved art, my favorite classes through out my years in school were always art classes. I’ve always wanted to be an artist, what kind of artist do I want to be has been a never ending pursuit. It went from trying to be a photographer, to a singer/song writer, to dance and then it stopped for awhile because I just wandered around and then life happened and then I became a mother and my son became a full time job.:blush: When he was eight I began to get into painting and then I discovered dutch pour painting techniques and I loved it for a bit but then after a few years had passed I began to get bored with it, but I still craved art. I started a spiritual journey and asked questions to get to know myself better. I’ve always loved drawings from illustrations from my childhood books to favorite artists of today to my recent new love comic books or graphic novels. I want to learn as much as I can about drawing because I want it to be able to lead me to whatever is next in my life.

3 Likes

@BeAnArtist , welcome! Wow, that’s a lot of art styles, cool! The amazing thing about art is that you DON’T have to stick to one style, in fact, I think that exploring different techniques is a great way to learn! I lean more toward 3D and comic art styles myself, and I can’t wait to see your work! Jesus loves you!!!

Hello everyone, My name is Tom and I am from CT. I always loved to draw but at 53 I just started taking lessons to learn some basics. This website has inspired and helped me so much. My main interest is graphite, pen and water colors although I concentrate a lot on graphite. I’m inspired by landscapes and animals. I hope someday to draw to the level of realism. Currently I am really practicing techniques.

3 Likes

Well, I love Jesus! I hope to become an Illustrator but for now, I’m just allowing my love and passion for drawing to be my guiding light and if it goes in that direction great and if not then I have an amazing skill under my belt.:blush: I appreciate you writing to me.:pray:

2 Likes

Hello @ThomasPtasz and welcome! Basics are definitely the building blocks for learning more about art, and I have no doubt that if you keep at it, you’ll reach the level your aiming for! Keep practicing! Jesus loves you!!!

don’t know if I did this right or if this is where I introduce myself.
My name is Rob. I learned drawing when I was in boy scouts. I traced a horse that was in my boy scout handbook till I could draw that horse without tracing, I was hooked. I took art classes in middle school and learned my basics. When in Highschool I took architectural drawing, drafting 1&2. For my final in my architectural class, my teacher told us we had to design a house and build it out of building supplies, you know the stuff. We had to draw and build a 1000 sqft house. That wasn’t enough for me. I drew and built a 7000 sqft house, :rofl:. After school, I got into pen and ink and did very well in animation and caricatures. Then I put my pencils and art supplies down for over 2 decades. Now I am back. I love perspective drawing and drawing animals and of course cartoons both graphite, charcoal and pen and ink. Shhh it’s realistically been about 3 decades that I have put my pencil down. But man I am ready and have just dusted off my tools and I am on fire to put out the best work I can. I am ocd now and it marked drawing so hard for me, that is bad and good. I love drawing things with great detail. I even draw with jewelers headset to get the tiniest of details into my drawings. Not to toot my own horn, but I will do my best to draw anything. I wish I was a savant artist. Thank you for reading this.
P.S. How much is it to sign up to become a member?
Driptip

4 Likes

Hello there @driptip, welcome to the Virtual Instructor forum! Yes, this is where you introduce yourself, and WOW, a 7000 sqft house?? :joy: That’s 7x the required size, but cool! We all draw in different mediums here, digital character art is one of my main methods, and I’m also a CG 3D modeler, so animation and caricatures is also kind of what I do! Can’t wait to see your detailed work! Jesus loves you!!!

Hi Rob! Welcome in the forum. If you want to become a member of Virtual Instructor, you should take the $1 trial then sign up. Although I believe that there is a promotion right now.

You can’t go wrong with taking this one-year membership. I have been a member for 5 years. It’s truly worth way more than what I paid for.
Patricia

Hello, Michael Bahm here. I am a 74year old retiree who has been doodling since elementary school so I decided I would get serious now. I have already learned a ton thanks to Matt’s ability as a teacher. May all your colors be bright and the subjects in your rainy scenes have umbrellas.

2 Likes

Hello @Papaw! Welcome, glad to have another new artist in the group, and can’t wait to see what you create! I love your comment too, “May all your colors be bright and the subjects in your rainy scenes have umbrellas.” Jesus loves you!!!