Kingfisher bird

I’m excited to share my kingfisher bird! First ever bird drawing and 3rd drawing in coloured pencils:) I learned so much from this one!

I tried to copy Matthew too much and I couldn’t (duh) and it wasn’t getting me results I liked, so l didn’t have a choice, but let loose. It happened on the wing feathers… They still look to me more like leaves than feathers. Anyway, l’ve learned not to aim for perfection by copying a pro and let loose. And I’ve learned that to sketch something you’ve never drawn before (feathers) is not waste of time:)

The greatest challenge for me is to leave the highlights in the right places…

I’m happy with the result though! This drawing made me want to do many sketches of different textures!

Btw, I tried using Bristol smooth before with different pencils and I couldn’t layer, but with prismas it’s pleasure to draw on this paper!

Any constructive feedback welcome!

6 Likes

Great job. Would have never guessed how new this subject and media were for you.

Terri Robichon

@Brigita It’s great! The fact that you just started makes it even better!

Thanks! Tell me what sticks out for you most where I could improve? I have a challenge of building up from light to darks. I want to pull out the shape too quickly with lighter values and I loose light space. In my mind everything is opposite- darks to lights… :flushed:

Thanks! Both are new to me, but my eye and my hand are trained a bit- I did graphic design and print ages ago and I studied interior design and did many construction drawings by hand also long ago:) Now finally I have time to try normal drawing:)

1 Like

Thanks! Tell me what sticks out for you most where I could improve? I have a challenge of building up from light to darks. I want to pull out the shape too quickly with lighter values and I loose light space. In my mind everything is opposite- darks to lights

I think you did a wonderful job. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Hi Brigita - We seem to have a lot in common. I graduated with a degree in Interior Design back in 1977. Yikes - how is that for a long time ago. And I worked in that field (commercial interior design) for 25 years. And yes - back then all the drafting was done by hand. It sounds like you’re retired. Happy to have you playing and sharing here.

Terri Robichon

Hi there,
I love your representation of this beautiful little bird….you have captured the colours and expression of movement well. You asked for feedback and I would suggest the addition of more ‘values’ in your shading, particularly in the breast area….don’t be afraid to add darkness as it will add to the vibrancy and make it ‘pop’ and appear more lifelike :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: