Kingfisher with Colored Pencils

Jane this is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Terri Robichon

Hi Lenet. This is stunning. Congratulations on finishing another course. What’s next?

Terri Robichon

Hello Terri @robichon ,

Thanks for the comments. I’m not sure yet what is next. You have inspired me to possibly try a watercolor. May go back and do the snow dog that Matt did recently. Still reluctant based on past experience (mentioned before about school experience).

I have a few graphite drawings I want to do as well. However, I’m liking color pencils. After the blue jay, I may want to try a simple pastel (my soft pastel sticks and pencil sets are very limited, only 12 of each).

Everytime I finish a drawing, I get excited to finish one and look forward to the next one, then my mind goes crazy until I decide what will be next.

I think next one is either going to be an original subject with a comfortable medium, or something from the VI site with a new medium.

I hate it when my anxiety and ADHD kicks in.

Lenet

1 Like

Hi Lenet -
Since I finished my watercolor Iris, I’ve been crazy trying to decide what I will start (or finish - Ha Ha) next. Of course I have a never ending list of artwork that I intend to do, but prioritizing is the issue. Especially since new stuff continues to present itself. I think maybe I’ll do a painting of lace with ink (but not watercolor - from Shelley Prior). I watched a little on YouTube and it appealed to me, as you knew it would.

I would highly recommend the snow dog watercolor. I enjoyed it, but if you decide to go that way consider doing it larger than Matt did. I increased the size to 11 x 17 an used smaller brushes and as a result didn’t struggle the way some folks did. I also opted to trace my subject instead of using the grid approach. Whatever you do I’m sure will be great. I’ll watch for your posts.

Terri Robichon

Hello Terri @robichon , the sniw dog is definitely on my list. I think I have decided to a Valentines Day version of cherries with color pencils.

Goal to have it finished before Valentines Day.

Lenet.

1 Like

Hi Lenet -

I’ve also made my decision. It will be an 11 x 14 Anna Mason - Line and wash drawing of a purple poppy, that is done in a loose style with ink. After all, I only have access to her lessons till the end of the month.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

My progress on the Bluejay.

1 Like

My sad beginning of the rose in water mixable oil paint. It could be worse. Besides the obvious blob of oil paint the biggest mistake was a paper palette and the mess I made because of it. Then I lost track of the whole thing. I will work on it more until it looks like some sort of rose .

Finished the Bluejay. I love the way it turned out with the yellow paper as undertone. I think it’s my favorite of the Three Little Birds.
You were right @robichon. The combination of pastelmat and polychromos is great. I think I might stick to that combination from now on.

2 Likes

Hi Sonia -
For a pallet for your paint, do what Ashley teaches. Take a piece of glass, like from an old picture frame. Get white foam core board and cut it the same size as the glass. Grab a roll of clear plastic packing tape and tape all sides (corner to corner) to hold the glass and foam core together, with just a half inch of the tape on the glass side and the extra tape wrapped around to the foam core backing. You’re ready to go. When done with the paint just wipe it off with a paper towel, or if dry scrape it off with a razor blade.

Terri Robichon

PS. I usually paint on heavy weight watercolor paper that is primed with acrylic paint, or gesso. A personal preference because I hate the texture of canvas

1 Like

Hi Sonia. Your blue jay is wonderful.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

@robichon I’ve seen the lesson on diy palette at least twice. Actually have the materials on hand to make it; however while shopping for Water mixable OP, i came across a cheap 3 pack of palette paper pads with 40 sheets each for less than $4. I could NOT pass such a bargain…how bad could it be for someone with ZERO experience on oil painting? SIGH!
It was a sad hard lesson. The whole thing reflects the absolute lack of hands on knowledge on oil paint. Everything was totally unexpected to me. The brushes were new and stiff like the onion roots even though I’d rinsed them the night before, the oil paint came out as an oily little chunk of thing. The brushes got stuck on the paper every time I tried to lift the paint from it, then a whole blob would end up on the brush, couldn’t shake it off, then smeared it on the paper, mixing was a disaster :rofl::rofl::rofl: it was ridiculous. It triggered a migraine with the smell.

1 Like

Hi Sonia. One more suggestion. Watch the Oil Painting Master Series - a course taught by Ashley for Beginners. I found it helpful. For instance, you should start with a dry brush and between colors just wipe the paint off the brush with a rag or paper towel, and don’t rinse it in water. You want the brush stiff for moving the oil paint. And try painting with very little paint on the brush. Let me know how you’re doing as you proceed with the oils.

Terri Robichon

Hello Sona @Meme5 , i think you blue jay came out great. The yellow paper seems to give the drawing a much warmer undertone. When I did mine I used white Pastelmat. It is amazing how much the paper makes a difference even if covered.

Lenet

2 Likes

Painted the white-ish rose a second time. I’m happy that it didn’t turn out just a blob of paint :grin:. I followed your advise @robichon and watched the master oil lesson, made my palette from scratch, prepped my paint before starting, and voila! No blob :smiling_face_with_tear: Far from a good painting, but I am not discouraged from trying oils more.
Oil painting is very challenging to me! :hot_face:

Hi Sonia. Yaaa, you did it. Now it’s time for more practice, but I know you’ll show improvement at a rapid rate. You did great with the color mixing. I really like your painting.

I think you should try an oil painting on thick (watercolor) paper. I don’t like fighting the texture of canvas. I’d be interested in knowing if that would make it easier for you to.

Terri Robichon

1 Like